Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Pretty shocking the difference!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
specweldtom,

Not sure of the calibre but the results are obvious.
The rearward movement of the rifles may have had something to do with how hard they were held in the vice as some seem to slip in the jaws.

Interesting how the Remington and Browning barrels just blow apart, I wouldn't want to have been holding onto them when they desintergrate.

The European made ones however just bulge and flex a bit then return to original size. Even the thin Tikka T3 and Manlincher barrels do quite well.

The actions all seem to hold together quite well. It seems that the barrel is the weak link.
i beleave tikka a sako use hammer forged barrels. may have something to do with it
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

My only problem with the test is there is not enough data on what cal,bullet,powder,what barrel
contour and so fourth.

Sometimes a test can be conducted to be self serving and does not represent all manufactures equally
so I would save my opinion until there is more data.

The test mentioned about the Weatherby MK5 was conducted by White laboratories and ALL actions
were tested to destruction. I have tried to find this test and have not been successful yet.

I have no ax to grind and have seen custom barrels fail for various reasons so all the votes are not
in as far as I,m concerned.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Topshot, to answer your question : Which barrels do you think fail the test? The answers pretty obvious...the weaker ones. Thanks for sharing the vid.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

If you watch this closely, staring at the barrels about 8-10" from the forward face of the receivers, you'll notice that every barrel that didn't shrapnel, did rupture or bulge at this location of the barrel. Which is located right about where the forend hand would be gripping the forend. Better start wearing a leather shooting glove on that hand...

For example, the Tikka T3 (I own two of these) spurt some gas out from the barrel and displayed a bulge fracture, even though it didn't shrapnel like the Rem M700 BDL.

Hey, is this what you M700s owners mean whey you say Remmy 700s are 'da bomb'?

Last edited by phorwath; 04-25-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

da bomb...that's a good one, made me laugh. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

So what is the standard or should I say average pressure that an action will suatain damage? Are they designed to withhold a certain psi over load ?

Jeff