Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Check out this video of rifles with the barrel welded shut and a bullets fired.
Some rifles are quite strong, other rifles are not.

Which barrels do you think fail the test?

YouTube - Rifle burst test - Remington, Browning, Sako, Blaser, Mannlicher, Antonio Zoli, Howa, Tikka
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle burst tests, how good is your rifle?

Topshot, very interesting video. Do you know what caliber the rifles were? Presumably all were the same caliber. I ask because some appeared to recoil more than others.

Also, all visible failures were in the barrels. Apparently they were welded shut at the muzzle, maybe simulating a mud plug? I wonder if the actions were damaged and if so, how badly.

It would be good to know the purpose of the tests and the parameters used.

Thanks for posting the video, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

specweldtom,

Not sure of the calibre but the results are obvious.
The rearward movement of the rifles may have had something to do with how hard they were held in the vice as some seem to slip in the jaws.

Interesting how the Remington and Browning barrels just blow apart, I wouldn't want to have been holding onto them when they desintergrate.

The European made ones however just bulge and flex a bit then return to original size. Even the thin Tikka T3 and Manlincher barrels do quite well.

The actions all seem to hold together quite well. It seems that the barrel is the weak link.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm I wonder why no Winchesters were on there. Im a Winchester nut, but from what I saw, Im guessing probably simmilar to the Browning since they were ''in bed togather'' for so long. Thats spooky for sure! I keep my rifles spotless clean, but from the time I was old enough to pick one up, my dad ALWAYS made sure I checked the bbl for any obstructions, and the habbit is still with me today. Thanks for the video, its a great reminder as to why we look down the pipe first.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

I didn't see a Mark V in there either.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
I didn't see a Mark V in there either.
At a demo in California(before I was born) Roy Weatherby took a 30 cal bullet, and lodged it(how I dont know....primer fire only maybe???) part way down the bbl of a Mark 5, 300Wby, then loaded it with a live 300wby round and fired. The crowd was duckin for cover, but the Mark 5 was sound, and didnteven bulge the bbl! This is word for word from the guy who was there at the demo.
Now I wasnt there so I cant sewar on a bible that its true. I also couldnt tell you if it was opperable, or damaged beyond safe fireing, Nor could I tell you if the bolt opened after fireing. But with what I hered, the bbl did NOT blow up. Both bullets came out the proper end. Great quality guns. Wish I had one. But Id NEVER try a test like that! Mr Weatherby, as briliant as he was, mustve been a little nutts too!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

I have heard or read this too a long time ago. It was to demonstrate the strength of the new Weatherby MK V bolt/action design.

I dont know about today, but the Weatherby MK V barrels used to be very stout toward the breach and tapered to a finer muzzle.

I would never try such a stunt, but I could see how it could work in a strong action and barrel.