Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

I just spent 2 more hours researching anything and everything SuperChrono related on the web. Hardcore test results remain scarce. Some folk report good correlation to other quality light sensing chronographs.

The manufacturer (Steinert) has announced they'll be coming out with a SuperChrono version that communicates with smartphones via bluetooth. This will allow a guy to see the recorded velocity from a smart phone with the SuperChrono set up out off the muzzle. Rumor is the bluetooth communication model may be available later this year - 2013. I'll wait till then before purchasing one. I will also wait until their web sites come back on line to ensure the company is on solid ground financially. This will also allow time for other user reviews to be posted on the various Forums. I'm in no rush.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

I have been recently using magneto speed V2.

Until now I have never had much use for a chronograph
because they never gave accurate enough readings or where
consistent.

I have only used it so far with my 338 Edge Imp and 338 Allen Mag.
I was a shooting proven loads out of both of these rifles. They both
showed an E.S. under 20 and an S.D. Under 10. The magneto also spit
out velocity numbers I knew these loads should be producing.

With my F1 (chrony which isn't known as a top of the line chrono) es
was around 50 with the same loads and velocity would be all over the place.
That's if I got a reading period.

In the short amount of time I've been using the magneto speed I have never had
a missed reading. And the whole set up is simple and easy to use.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

One thing is for sure gentlemen, in the past year the chronograph industry has made leaps and bounds in accurate units for us to choose from. Just like the rangefinders. We not have a few good chronographs to choose from.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 AM

I am the owner of Steinert Sensing Systems, maker of the SuperChrono. I am posting this in response to the comments about links to our website not working.

That's correct, the website has been hacked. It's been unavailable since August 17th. We have moved to new, ultra-secure server to make sure this will not happen again. The website will be available again shortly.

As for reviews there's one in the October issue of Guns: The Speed Read | Guns Magazine

The leading German magazine Visier tested the SuperChrono against a pair of reference chronos and found deviations of just .15% or just a few feet per second. You'll find this on our web site when it becomes available again.

The main thing about the SuperChrono is that it has to be aimed carefully and aligned with the bullet path. If you use the spirit level instead of the sights the readings will be off by about 200 ft/s.

The spirit level is there just to give you a general idea during setup with the tripod. If you place the chrono directly on the ground without a tripod the shockwave will reflect upwards and the readings will be off.

Place the SuperChrono 10 feet in front of the muzzle for most loads. Magnum loads may have a longer muzzle blast and to make sure you get reliable readings, place it 15 feet in front of the muzzle.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinert View Post
I am the owner of Steinert Sensing Systems, maker of the SuperChrono. I am posting this in response to the comments about links to our website not working.

That's correct, the website has been hacked. It's been unavailable since August 17th. We have moved to new, ultra-secure server to make sure this will not happen again. The website will be available again shortly.

As for reviews there's one in the October issue of Guns: The Speed Read | Guns Magazine
Thanks for explaining and for the reference to the article/reviews. I'll check it out when your web site comes back online.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

+1 For the MS, I got mine a few weeks ago. The ease of set up and use are a big plus. Why anyone would want a unit they have to get up and walk to to get results is beyond my comprehension that could get tiresome at 1000 yds. (pharworth) We have used this on 3 rifles so far with no noticeable change in accuracy. On my 7RM the only thing I noticed was a poi shift to the left .25" but the accuracy did not change. On my buddy's 7RM he had no change what so ever, I don't know if the muzzle brake made the diff. on mine or not, he has no muzzle brake. On my 300WM there was no change in either poi, or accuracy. Jeff is certainly correct in just plugging in the numbers and being good to go. On my Buddy's 7RM he shot a 5 shot group waiting a couple of min. between shots got his average of 2980fps put it in to Ballistic program went to 643 yds dialed the come ups and all but dead centered a 8" round steel plate. drove back to 825 yds as far as we could shoot put 3 more on the same plate all in a little over 4" all 3 shots were a 1.5" to the right but he did not dial anything for spin drift, there was almost no wind and what there was was pretty much at 12:00 o clock. With the ease of use,accurate info, quick setup, and no worries about proper distance, light or alignment. The MS will change the way shooters look at crony's in the future. JMO Yeah I like mine

Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
+1 For the MS, I got mine a few weeks ago. The ease of set up and use are a big plus. Why anyone would want a unit they have to get up and walk to to get results is beyond my comprehension that could get tiresome at 1000 yds. (phorwath) We have used this on 3 rifles so far with no noticeable change in accuracy. On my 7RM the only thing I noticed was a poi shift to the left .25" but the accuracy did not change. On my buddy's 7RM he had no change what so ever, I don't know if the muzzle brake made the diff. on mine or not, he has no muzzle brake. On my 300WM there was no change in either poi, or accuracy.
I have my reasons, and they're meaningful, for me. But I'm tickled pink the MS is the solution for you.