Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
+1, i love mine, i do have a 1 3/4 MOA POI change on my 284 win, but it does not affect accuracy. Two days ago i went to the range in the 100 degree heat (for velocity data) and shot five rounds with the magnetospeed on. All five rounds went into .485 CTC at 100 yards, which is equal to what is does without the unit. What tickled me pink was my ES and SD, my ES was 13 and SD was 5, but there was one shot that was off and it was the cold fouled bore shot and if i take it out i had an ES of 3 and SD of 1.5. (Also, i only gained 7 fps in the 100 degree heat vs the 74 degree heat in Townsend with H4350)
Good info!!

Jeff
Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
phorwath,

I swear NOWHERE in the literature supplied with the unit did they mention setting it up more than 10 feet and preferably 15 ft. Maybe I need to reread the instructions.
AZ,

Here's the information I found at the Manufacturer's web site at the below link on July 10, 2013:

"Why place the chronograph at least 10 feet or 3 meters in front of the muzzle?

- This is to avoid detecting the muzzle blast itself. The muzzle blast depends on the load. You will get correct readings from a supersonic .22 LR very close to the muzzle. For a large magnum load you may have to increase the distance to 12 or 15 feet, four to five meters.
"

Here's the link: http://www.steinertsensingsystems.co...ked-questions/

I just tried this link and see it's not working for me. Neither are some of the other 'Steinert' links. Might just be a temporary thing, or something more serious...

Too bad the instructions aren't more explicit. It doesn't sound like this unit is easily employed at public shooting ranges. I don't shoot at public ranges, and won't be when I'm recording down range velocity, so I'm not concerned about that aspect. I'm simply hoping to confirm it will record accurate velocity. If it doesn't, its useless to me. If it does, I'll likely purchase one.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-21-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Steinert links aren't functioning at this moment.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
+1, i love mine, i do have a 1 3/4 MOA POI change on my 284 win, but it does not affect accuracy. Two days ago i went to the range in the 100 degree heat (for velocity data) and shot five rounds with the magnetospeed on. All five rounds went into .485 CTC at 100 yards, which is equal to what it does without the unit.
It's fortunate that the accuracy of your rifle is unaffected. More often than not, shooters should expect a change in POI and accuracy when fastening the MagnetoSpeed to their muzzle - compared to shooting without the MagnetoSpeed attached to the muzzle. The Browning Boss System has demonstrated that just a small change in adjustment of the location of a weight fastened at the muzzle alters accuracy. So much so that the entire purpose of the Boss system is to enable a shooter to fine tune the accuracy of any given load fired from their rifle.

ADJUSTABLE MUZZLE BRAKE | Brownells
Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
We tested all 3 at one of the Townsend Shoots, the 3rd being my Oehler 35. All 3 measuring the same bullets from 4 different rifles and calibers. I ordered a magneto speed after the test. The super has some benefits like the ability to be shot over at longer distances. But in the end I liked the Magneto speed better for my needs.

Jeff
Was there any difference in measured speeds between the magneto speed and the Oehler 35?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Phorwath,

Your link didn't work. Even tried typing in the first part. Would love to read those questions.

The answer they offered for larger magnums said 10 feet then later said 12 to 15 feet. Funny how they can't give a definitive answer.

I will need to bring a ladder and my binos to read the unit at that distance.

Here is a PDF file that Steinertsensing put on line:

http://www.steinertsensing.com/pub_d...Data-Sheet.pdf

This is copied from it :

"Detection distance:

From 25cm (10’’) from the muzzle to any downrange distance for supersonic speed"

I am through messing around with this unit. It just isn't made for bench shooting especially at a range with other shooters. Can't get up every few shots to manipulate the unit which is downrange. Can't read it from bench and velocities are not consistent. It is going back.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Phorwath,

Your link didn't work. Even tried typing in the first part. Would love to read those questions.

The answer they offered for larger magnums said 10 feet then later said 12 to 15 feet. Funny how they can't give a definitive answer.

I will need to bring a ladder and my binos to read the unit at that distance.

Here is a PDF file that Steinertsensing put on line:

http://www.steinertsensing.com/pub_d...Data-Sheet.pdf

This is copied from it :

"Detection distance:

From 25cm (10’’) from the muzzle to any downrange distance for supersonic speed"

I am through messing around with this unit. It just isn't made for bench shooting especially at a range with other shooters. Can't get up every few shots to manipulate the unit which is downrange. Can't read it from bench and velocities are not consistent. It is going back.
AZ,
I realized my link to Frequently Asked Questions wasn't working after I posted it. And it's still not working this morning. Dunno why. Some of the other Steinert links aren't working either. Wondering if the company has gone belly up, but it could just be a temporary glitch with their server. Sorry the unit didn't work out for you. Others have had some disappointment also. I was holding out hope for a better experience.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Belly up? That wouldn't be good.

I also unsuccessfully tried to open up a few of the Steinert sites the last few days.

Going back to my CED......