Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Recoil reduction on 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Recoil reduction on 300 RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Several people have ask what happened to the Video I had poster on this thread. Not sure but I
will repost it for them and anyone interested in watching it.

Recoil reduction of large overbore cartridges. - YouTube

J E CUSTOM
That's a good video JE. Is that you pulling the trigger if so nice to put a face to the knowledge. I have a couple of questions, the video is very convincing. So one of my questions is, have you ever had a properly installed break decrease the accuracy of a rifle due to barrel harmonics or any other physical change in the barrel? Also my outside diameter of my barrel is 0.649 in. Is there a recommended size of break, I don't know if a break is to heavy if would influence the harmonics in a negative way? And one more question, do breaks really trash some scopes? The gun is a TC Venture 30/06 24in. Barrel. Thanks.
Bill Gohring.

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...

Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
That's a good video JE. Is that you pulling the trigger if so nice to put a face to the knowledge. I have a couple of questions, the video is very convincing. So one of my questions is, have you ever had a properly installed break decrease the accuracy of a rifle due to barrel harmonics or any other physical change in the barrel? Also my outside diameter of my barrel is 0.649 in. Is there a recommended size of break, I don't know if a break is to heavy if would influence the harmonics in a negative way? And one more question, do breaks really trash some scopes? The gun is a TC Venture 30/06 24in. Barrel. Thanks.
Bill Gohring.
Thanks. Yes I am the "Old" guy. I had been in my shop building rifles and did not think I would be In the video or I would have at least changed shirts. (I thought he had the camera on the rifle only)

In answer to your other question= For the most part the testing we did on the Assassin proved
that most of the time accuracy improved. (Sounds like a sales pitch for my brakes, but some other brakes did ok and some didn't). I have never had a muzzle brake hurt accuracy but sometimes
it may move the POI or change the preferred loading.

The main reason that a good brake should not hurt accuracy is because the bullet is gone before
the muzzle brake starts to do its job.

The extra weight seems to dampen the harmonics of the barrel, and the full size brakes seem better at this than the small/light weight.

The smallest Assassin is 1" in diameter and lighter and doesn't improve the accuracy as much/often.

On the scope issue= there are some brake designs that could very well cause scope and other types of damage. This is another video of some more test we performed that are quite dramatic=

Hope this answered your questions

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I am the "Old" guy. I had been in my shop building rifles and did not think I would be In the video or I would have at least changed shirts. (I thought he had the camera on the rifle only)

In answer to your other question= For the most part the testing we did on the Assassin proved
that most of the time accuracy improved. (Sounds like a sales pitch for my brakes, but some other brakes did ok and some didn't). I have never had a muzzle brake hurt accuracy but sometimes
it may move the POI or change the preferred loading.

The main reason that a good brake should not hurt accuracy is because the bullet is gone before
the muzzle brake starts to do its job.

The extra weight seems to dampen the harmonics of the barrel, and the full size brakes seem better at this than the small/light weight.

The smallest Assassin is 1" in diameter and lighter and doesn't improve the accuracy as much/often.

On the scope issue= there are some brake designs that could very well cause scope and other types of damage. This is another video of some more test we performed that are quite dramatic=
How important is seeing the hit? - YouTube

Hope this answered your questions

J E CUSTOM
so I should go with the biggest/ heaviest break that is practical for my rifle? Weight is not a problem its mostly a range rifle. Thanks you did answer all of my questions...

Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

I was having some trouble getting the second video to download but I got it. WOW that is the most interesting thing I have ever watched. As far as technical rifle research is concerned. The wrong break can trash more than my scope,"holy crap" does this happen to rifles without breaks? How do I go about ordering the proper size assassin break for my barrel contour or is it installed only in your shop, if so I'll save my money and get it done... I'll never trust just any break on my rifle from now on....thanks JE that was enlightening....
Bill Gohring.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Rifles are designed to recoil straight back and do not bend/flex the barrel normally. extremely
light barrels tend to twist the opposite direction of the rifling twist and even whip in some cases (Hence the name buggy whip).

Due to the shape /drop of the stock they will also buck up when fired (This is normal)

A really good brake that has apposing ports or radial holes all round does not impart uneven
stresses on a barrel. In fact the fact that they tame the recoil it normally improves the barrel reactions making them more consistent.

If a brake is improperly or poorly installed they can screw everything up, So they have to be installed correctly.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Rifles are designed to recoil straight back and do not bend/flex the barrel normally. extremely
light barrels tend to twist the opposite direction of the rifling twist and even whip in some cases (Hence the name buggy whip).

Due to the shape /drop of the stock they will also buck up when fired (This is normal)

A really good brake that has apposing ports or radial holes all round does not impart uneven
stresses on a barrel. In fact the fact that they tame the recoil it normally improves the barrel reactions making them more consistent.

If a brake is improperly or poorly installed they can screw everything up, So they have to be installed correctly.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks JE. Anybody that is thinking about a muzzle break should watch those two videos. And any freshman gunsmith that installs muzzle breaks should also watch...

Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have you done any testing on how effective the 1" round brake is in comparison to the full sized one?