Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Making Lathe Turned Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Making Lathe Turned Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Check your PMs....
Check yours as well. I believe you'll find an interesting reply......
Old 12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Check yours as well. I believe you'll find an interesting reply......
Got it!

Interesting for sure.

Trying to stay retired. Me too!!! But this thing is bugging me to death!!!

This idea is working out quite well. As it turns out there are many niches to be filled. These can be filled much faster than the big name manufacturers can or will respond.

Sooner or later they will respond however. Then the well will dry up.

LRH is getting quite a following.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

It works so long as your scope of operations remains small. Larger companies have labor and physical plant to deal with plus layers of management and that all takes time and costs money.

That's why the Chinese and to a lesser extent the Taiwanese have become the dominant force in the world market. Pounding it out in the back room beats organized and orderly companies any day. Problem, the quality is non-existent or at least not what we anticipate or demand but we will (speaking as a whole) take lower quality over price and quality, just complain about it (on the net for instance).

Quality and cost are married to each other despite what popular opinion is, or wants to be, like Siamese twins, joined at the hip, sharing vital organs. Finding the balance and maintaining viability is the key.

When a company goes tits up, usually the root cause is they lost the balance between quality and cost and in their frustration, lost their financial well being too.

It's never been my personal intent to 'outgrow' my present facility or hire employees or anything that would compromise the essence of what I do, because, I can maintain quality as well as the whole manufacturing process and sell the finished product. I call it a 'hobby' but what 'hobbyist' has commercial CNC machines and a complete machine and fab shop, not many. It's a 'hobby' to me because I control the horizontal and the vertical, the buck stops with me and nothing leaves here without my approval...... I'm the dictator of myself....

I saw a video once of a grubby kid assembling bullets somewhere in a third world country, his 'table' a flat rock for sale (I presume) in a 'civilized' country somewhere. No quality there...... I'm sure everyone gets sold though, probably at Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro.... Company buyers from large retailers are always looking for a bargain and a better profit margin......

Interestingly, people today don't care about what or where, they demand quality but they demand price as well. It's very hard to achieve a balance and even if balanced, maintaining it is a constant, ongoing regimen.

All you have to do is peruse the vast array of optics available on the net (and advertised on this site as click through(s). I wonder just what the percentage of them are made in some third world hovel by children. Quite a few I'd think. Even the respected names like Leupold and Stevens, I strongly suspect are 'assembled' here, not 'made' here from parts sourced worldwide but then made in USA and assembled in USA have somehow became to mean the same, not that they ever were...

While all of this has very little to do with lathe turned bullets on the surface, it has a lot do do with producing a product, lathe turned bullets for example and marketing them.

This forum, from what I see here is certainly a large cut above the norm, both in knowledge, common sense and wisdom. That's refreshing in itself.

I made a comment about AR style platforms (I'm not a fan of that platform) on another thread and the response was very adult like and presented well. That's unusual in this day and age of 'put it in your face and like it' attitudes.

Nice to be a member of a community that respects one another......