Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Cerakote Flutes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Cerakote Flutes

I have a stainless barrel & action. The Predator action has a black oxide handle and bolt. The scope, rings & bases are matte black. Just wondering how the whole thing would look if the flutes only were Cerakoted a matte black. Anyone ever Cerakoted just the flutes?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cerakote Flutes

I saw one once. I thought it looked great.?
Cant say for sure it was cerakote, but the flutes were black and everything else was shiny.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

I turned my savage into a faux sendero with a black/grey duramaxx stock and then painted the flutes matte black with engine block enamel. It looks good and is easy to touch up. Stainless on black looks great. I know its not cerakote, but just saying i've done it and its possible
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

I just picked up a 338-408 in a heavy contour with intermittent fluting and Im thinking about polishing the barrel and painting the fluting.

112savage- has yours held up good?

I'm wondering how well it sticks to the stainless?
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

I decided to try painting my flutes as a first option. My local guy wanted $150 to Cerakote just the flutes. I went to an autobody paint supplier and picked up the best self etching primer spray they had. I wiped down the metal and then spent a couple hours masking. Sprayed three light coats and let it dry. Peeled the tape and cleaned up some overspray. I like it. And if it ever chips, I'll only need to mask the affected area and respray...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

the flutes have held up well. One time I got some Barnes CR-10 on one and the paint just wiped right off like grease. Now I'm a lot more careful with cleaning solvents. I'm sure if you prepare and prime the metal then apply a tough paint and a matte clear coat it should hold up to most everything except for solvents.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Bronze Member

Paul @ pro precision rifles did mine. not sure of the process, i considered doing it myself w/ gun kote read where they tape off the barrels and cut out the flutes w/ something round like a marble or ball bearing running it down the flutes.