Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews

Bolt cleaning ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Bolt cleaning ?

Was wanting to know how often you all clean your bolts. Had an issue today while shooting with the bolt not cocking. I worked it a few times and then didn't have any othe problems with it. I am now looking for the video on taking the bolt apart.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bolt cleaning ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghntr View Post
Was wanting to know how often you all clean your bolts. Had an issue today while shooting with the bolt not cocking. I worked it a few times and then didn't have any othe problems with it. I am now looking for the video on taking the bolt apart.
What kind of bolt do you have?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Rem 700. The not cocking has me thinking I need to clean.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Gold Member

When I buy used rifle, i clean Bolt thoroughly with Gun scrubber or equivalent. Then use a dry lubricant spray. Then use bore guides with solvent ports and keep all oils out of bolt and action. Rarely felt the need to clean bolt afterwards.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghntr View Post

Here's one from Midway USA ...

... and a pretty cool trick without tools from a US Marine ...

How to disassemble rifle bolt with no tools - YouTube

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

The bolt handle isn't going down far enough and is hitting the stock would be my guess.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
SPONSOR

Sounds like a trigger problem, sear not engaging the cocking piece. Trigger mechanism dirty or 'gummed up'? Has the trigger been removed and the re-installed (tight pins can 'crimp' the sides of the trigger body and not allow free sear movement)? Has the trigger been "adjusted"? Go ahead and buy the tool for firing pin removal, you'll be glad you did. If you value your firearms, invest a few dollars, or take it to a gunsmith, or both.