Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback7 View Post
Nice complete review, and well written. However that being said, I feel there are too many angles and it would get caught or hungup on too much. Plus its ugly.
I tend to want to politely disagree with your assessment. For my use, which would be shooting from an ambush/hide set up I don't see any problem with it getting 'hung up' on anything. The barrel being 30" or longer is a much bigger problem.With my method of carry the stock clashing with the environment isn't a problem. However, imbalance with the long heavy barrels is a constantly bothersome until your set up engaging a LR target. Then there is no better feeling in this world.

Neither do I think it's ugly. Mean lookin' maybe but not ugly.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

well this is why we have unbiased reviews so everyone can give their thoughts and take from it what they want and try to make an informed decision.that being said,the stock does have a few points on which to hang up.those being the grip,cheek piece and the butt stock but these points are no different from an AR.also,the long barrel will hang up more that the stock.but remember,this particular rifle wasn't made for woods or mountain hunting it was made for long range target shooting from a fixed shooting position.looks are a matter of personal preference.i happen to think it looks nice others may not.just remember that anytime you purchace or build a rifle make sure it suits your particular needs and does the job you intend to use it for.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

bogger1,

You're spot one. A fella needs to know what he wants when starting out on a rig.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

I too was looking for a good stock to replace the factory one on my Tikka Varmint .308. The XLR Industries system caught my eye, but they didn't list a chassis system for a Tikka. I sent a E-mail & Kyle responded right away. We talked a little & decided that I would send my barreled action to him & he would use it to build a Tikka chassis. Kyle & crew did a great job. This is truley a work of art. Not a machining mark or flaw of any kind, and I like how adjustable this chissis is. I have 100 rounds through the rifle with this new stock. I made a few adjustments and I can line up on the rifle without any trouble everytime (almost). I will be placing a order for another one for my Tikka .223 Varmint.
Here are the results:

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

thanks for posting those pics.its nice to show some of the users photos.kyle has been willing to work with anyone to get what they need no matter how much effort has to be put in to it. one question i have for kansas45 and i'm sure others would like to know is could you see any accuracy changes when switching from the factory stock to the XLR chassis?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

Actually, yes. I shot 1/2 moa better than with the factory stock. While I will have to admit that I was testing IMR 8208 powder for the first time, and didn't shoot my usual Reloader 15 load, I can feel the XLR holding better than the OEM stock. This thing is sturdy, well built, & very user friendly, in my world anyway.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

thanks for your info.i wasn't able to write on that subjec because my rifle was a new build and no testing was done with the factory stock.