Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

Quote:
There are three chassis available from XLR. The XLR Evolution chassis is the standard chassis that works well with just about any of your standard actions like the Savage, Winchester and Remington based actions. The second chassis is the XLR Evolution HD chassis. This chassis is for the larger actions like the Stiller tac, .408, and the Surgeon XL. The last option is the XLR Evolution BMG chassis. This is designed for the largest .50 BMG actions. With each chassis there is the option for a single shot or repeater if your action is designed for it. Each chassis also has the option of a 12 or 14 inch hand guard that can be upgraded with a 4 way picatinny rail kit or a single rail for bipod mounting, as well as a 3 inch benchrest plate. Also, all stocks have the option of a folding butt stock kit.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

Looks great, I have an old 7mm that's been collecting dust and this might be the project to go with, what overall weight did you end up with. I need to decide what cal to go with my rem action also....
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Silver Member

i didn't weigh it but i'm thinking somwhere between 16-17 pounds with the 30 inch barrel.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

lol, I don't think I'll be making this a back pack rifle
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

no, probably not.if you went with a shorter barrel with a sporter weight barrel then it might be ok for some packing around.the chassis only weighs about 4 pounds which isn't bad considering how stable of a platform it is.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Marty,

Great review!

@ 4# one may be able to keep the total weight, with proper component selection, under the 16# Idaho limit. Carrying it to the 'hide' wouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the kind words.and your right,the right components would make a huge difference in weight reduction.i use a long heavy barrel with heavy rings and base.also,in this weight I am figuring in the weight of the bipod so a lot can be done to reduce weight.remember this is a tactical rifle so weight isn't that big of a deal.and yes,to the guys on the hide this is probably considered a light weight.