Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Vortex Viper 4-12x40 Scope Review By Troy Adams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Viper 4-12x40 Scope Review By Troy Adams

i just called and talked to a tech he answerd all my questions. they must have you on super secrect double probation so you go just to voice mail.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

I tried to get a demo unit sent to my local shop about a year ago, as he had just become a dealer. I talked to some very nice people down at vortex. (its only an hour away from me in Madison!) they were very helpful, and offered to send a scope to my dealer on a memo note.... if i liked it, buy it. if not, send it back. very reasonable.

When i went in and placed the order, my guy told me he had sent all the product back and canceled his dealership.... he indicated that the demo units he saw were top notch, equivalent with some other top names in his opinion. The actual order was very much different. very poor quality, the whole works was poo.

He suspected they got an entire order that was bad from overseas, since he was looking for a higher end product, he just moved on.

I have heard numerous good things since then from reliable sources, so possibly it was just one batch. I suggest contacting someone local that is a dealer, and arrange for a demo unit to ship. they seem to have all the right specifications, so if the glass is good, it should be a winner.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

Final comment on viper's poor customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
i just called and talked to a tech he answerd all my questions. they must have you on super secrect double probation so you go just to voice mail.
Finally got through to them on the phone after another unanswered email (that is 4 total). The receptionist said that they usually are not interested in a dealer who only wants to order a couple of units at a time but would have Joe Blow, the rep for the western states give me a call to discuss their dealer criteria. Left him a voice mail message 4 days ago and have not received a call. Their customers service is probably the worst of any optics company that I have ever tried to do business with. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy let alone one of our customers! Obviously they are just another nickel dime outfit trying to break into the optics big league. They sure as hell won't be successful with their current attitude toward dealers and customers.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

sounds like maybe they just found out you are nickel and dime dealer. i have talked to some one everytime i have had a question. guess i will just take the word from good dealers like liberty optics and swfa. go over on snipers hide and sam from vortex is on answering questions about the new vipers coming out almost as soon as they are asked.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM

I am considering a Viper vortex 6.5x20x44 pa- Dead hold BDC to install on a Remington VTR .308 and want a 1 piece mounting system.
Looking at a Picatinny Rail Tactical Scope Mount - Short Action 15 MOA base. Any suggestions or different recommendations ?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC83 View Post
I am considering a Viper vortex 6.5x20x44 pa- Dead hold BDC to install on a Remington VTR .308 and want a 1 piece mounting system.
Looking at a Picatinny Rail Tactical Scope Mount - Short Action 15 MOA base. Any suggestions or different recommendations ?
A one piece canted base from EGW is as good as any you will find. They don't cost n arm an a leg either. As far as your optic choice, I think you will get more elevation adjustment with the Viper PST 6-24x50 than the viper PA 6.5-20x50. The PST will set you back almost double the asking price of the Viper PA though. In any respect, there not many scopes makers in the Vortex price range than come close the quality of the Viper line. Any viper scope on a hunting rifle will be a fine choice.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

Location: Originally from WA, stationed in KS, heading to Missouri

Good review....I found it on a google search and since I am already a member here had to read this thread too.

I like Vortex, I have had no issues with being able to contact them thru email or phone call ever. Good solid products and seem to be great people.
I will be buying a Viper 4-12x40 for my Mini-14 build later on this year.
I already own a couple of thier binos and a CrossFire 6x24x50.