Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Vortex Kaibab Binoculars And Outdoorsmans Tripod Review By Len Backus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 AM

Re: Vortex Kaibab Binoculars And Outdoorsmans Tripod Review By Len Backus

Len: I dabble in backyard astronomy and agree the mount and head are at least as important as the optics. I also find that I can outspend my maturing eyesight with great optics that I'm incapable taking full advantage of now. I've never used the Kaibab's but have looked through some great Fuji and Swaro glass, but for the life of me the mid-priced glasses are where my seeing is maximized now. (I have a pair of used Fuji 15x80s for star gazing, and they are simply drop dead beautiful to gaze at the sky with.)

I'm not disagreeing that the Vortex's aren't a great alternative to the Swaro's; they are and review after review says so. I'm thinking of going the same route you did only with the Vortex Viper 15x50HD for about $699ish. My guess is the edge distortion and color aberration between the the Kaibab and Viper HD in low light won't be noticeable to me, unless I spend my time looking for the difference and not at game.

If I were younger, I'd jump on the Kaibabs. Thanks for the article; it helped push me over the one glass/light/stable tripod decision.

Rachel