Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review

Quote:
In today’s world of reloading and shooting, there are so many different products on the market that it's hard to choose what product will best suit your needs. I wanted a case trimmer that I could set easily and accurately without a bunch of trial and error, but that would be reliable and accurate enough to meet my accuracy needs. I also wanted a trimmer that could trim different cases and that could return to any case length quickly and easily. The Redding 2400 Case Trimming Lathe does just that.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review

How does the redding case trimmer compare to the RCBS case trimmer.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Silver Member

from my experiance the redding is a better trimmer.the REDDING has the universal,adjustable case collet as the rcbs has interchangeable hell holders that tend to hold the case a little off center.and even if you buy the RCBS kit withthe shell holders that come with it are only nubmbers 2,3,4 and 10.so if you want to load say the short mags or ultra mags you would have to buy different shell holders.also,the cutter on the RCBS will not stay sharp as long as the REDDING so you will have to replace the cutter more often.a few good ponts about the RCBS.one is the option of buying a 3 way cutter that chamfers and deburrs the case at one time.also,there is an option to purchase a power adapter that allows you to hook up a drill to run the trimmer.i havn't used this option but i have heard that this has a tendency to strip out after a few hundred cases.now the rcbstrimmer kit is about 50 dollars cheaper but after you buy the extra shell holders you need and replace the cutting head several times before the redding.so in my opinion the redding is a better case trimmer in termsof accuracy and dependability. thanks,marty

Last edited by bogger01; 02-23-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
I wonder how consistent it is, i.e. has anybody measured how much the lenght of each cartridge after trimming varies?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

its very consistent as long as you keep the micrometer tight. have trimmed hundreds of cases with it and never had a problem with the consistency of my case.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Bronze Member

As I'm still undecided which trimmer to get, I have since read up on this one - and seen their utube video: WILSON STAINLESS MICRO TRIMMER & PLATFORM KIT, by Sinclair.
Anybody out there with any experience? I can't find anybody on their web page that has sent in any 'reviews', which makes me wonder why..........
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

I'd like to add a bit to the description in as much as I hav one as well. I bought mine prior to this article being posted and I bought mine because I like the repeatability of a micromter stop as wll as the split collet (no shell holders) and the concentricity of the collet arrangment. Collets and concentricity go hand in hand, why most precision turning in the shop is done in collets.

I've trimmed a couple thousand casses with mine with no issues except.....

You need to apply a little grease or heavy oil to the rotating spindle before you use it for the first time and therafter, every couple hundred cases. I'm still on my original trimmer. I'd expect it to last indefinitely. It is hardened tool steel and you are cutting soft brass afterall.

I tend only to use the micrometer head for th final adjustment.. Instead I set the COAL with calipers and use the micromter head for the final dimension..

I have the power adapter spindle on mine. The hand crank works for a few at a time cases but will develop a blister on your hand if you do any volume. Don't use a drill motor to power the unit, use a power screwdriver. Drill motors have too much power and will quickly cause the spindle to loose it's accuracy. The power screwdriver has plenty of suds to trim cases.

Finally, mount the trimmer on a wooden block or plywood sheet to give it stability. I have mine screwed to a rectangle of MDX that I clamp to my workbench.

Mine holds repeatable dimensions within 0.001 no issue.

It's a well made casting (no cheap sheet metal) and should outlast you with a little care.