Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Review By Jim Brown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Bronze Member

any word on codes to speed up the charges??
Old 08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Got this off another site. Use at your own risk.;);)

RCBS Chargemaster part 2
Finally got around to testing my software modified Chargemaster (CM). Testing conditions are as follows: 1) CM set for 28.3 grains 2) powder was V 133 3) used a Ohaus Navigator n00330 scale to verify CM results. 4) 50 charges were dispensed 5) after dispensing charge the CM scale was slightly disturbed and a new reading obtained.
Instead of typing each result I will outline results. Out of 50 charges....1 reread on the CM 28.4 instead of 28.3, all others read 28.3. Checking with the Ohaus, 23 showed 28.25, 18 showed 28.3, 5 showed 28.2, and 4 showed 28.35.
This is an improvement over the stock software setting. The results obtained were as actually shown, with NO charges disreguarded due to bumping table, apparent voltage variations (slight light dimming) occasional misplacement of pan on platform and several interested pets trying to help.
Stock unit showed a variation of +.1 to -.1, a .2 spread, leveling CM resulted in a improvement, however it still was not consistant enough for me.
To change settings 1) start unit, when it shows 0.0 press edit/mem key and the enter key at the same time. I changed the following variables to these settings: F_A to 070, M_A to 030, S_A to 006, W_F to 235, T_S to 004. MAKE ANY CHANGES AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE.

LongShot1
title:

Quote: (Originally Posted by lcbcp)
To change settings 1) start unit, when it shows 0.0 press edit/mem key and the enter key at the same time. I changed the following variables to these settings: F_A to 070, M_A to 030, S_A to 006, W_F to 235, T_S to 004. MAKE ANY CHANGES AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE.

I tried the procedure you describe, but my unit shows no "T_S" variable. I do have an "F_A", an "M_A", an "S_A", a "W_F", but no "T_S". After the "W_F", there are, in order, settings for "W_M", "W_S", "S_F", S_M", and "S_S"

mikecr
title:
Lurker

He had typo'd is all.. It's W_S

lcbcp
title:

Nope, not a typo....there are several versions of software on these units. This is one reason I have been hesitant to post my results. On my unit the F_A, M_A,and the S_A are "downshift points" ie. to change from fast to medium speed at 7 grs out from final charge weight, set F_A @ 070....to change from medium to slow @ 2 gr out, set M_A @ 020, etc. On MY UNIT there are really 4 speeds, fast, medium, slow, and for lack of better term "stop and go". I do have the following variables.... T_F, T_M, & T_S, which relate to tube rotation speed, T_S regulates the slowest speed, by setting it lower you can allow the scale to catch up with powder dispensed better though at a cost of time. I also have what appears to be a secondary set of the F_A, M_A, S_A , which are identified as F_B, M_B, S_B that I am not sure of as to exactly how they relate in the scheme of things, but may relate to 2 other variables W_F and W_M, which seem to be a static type limit expressed in gr. ie 255 = 25.5 gr. Last variable is SAP, which I hope is not a joke by RCBS to indicate someone that has worked for app 10 hrs to figure out the above info, but my best guess at this point sets com port speed, 096 = 9600 baud. All setting interact with each other as to end effect, so be carefull.

lcbcp
title:

Bert, my guess is that '"S_F", S_M", and "S_S", correlate to my T_F, T_M, T_S or as I think of it Turn_Fast, Turn_ Medium, Turn_ Slow could also be easily be construed as Speed_Fast, Speed_Medium, Speed_Slow. At least this is how I would approach this issue. Change ONE variable and test results. Sort of like playing with a rifle but unlikely to result in a major face rearangement if wrong. List all variables available in order and look for patterns based on results of available info. Any computer based gismo can be best thought of as a self defined jig saw puzzle. Hope this helps. L C Brooke (lcbcp)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Review By Jim Brown

My chargemaster has started to give me a code of 2009. and when it does that it will not work at all. i called and was told that they would have to send me out a new one when they had them back in stock. has anyone else has this problem?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM

The first one I got would not play ball when putting in the charge details.
The figure one and four and seven always showed up as one digit higher so I could not programme 47gns as it showed in the display as 58gns and so on.
Fair do's to RCBS, they changed it for a new one that works fine.
I have since heard from a few of my mates, that have them, that they had the same problem and had to get them changed.
It was obviously a bad batch that got thro the quality control.
They are sold over here for 330 so if yours only cost you $300 aqnd as low as $260 you had a bargain!!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Jim check this out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
This is the thread for discussion of the article: Jim...check this out!Jim,check this out...RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Review
By Jim Brown

Jim,did you know that Dixie Gun works is selling pistol primers for $10 a box(100)plus hazmat.Isnt that illegal to make 6000% on a product that everyone knows cost about 3 bucks.?MLH
Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Changing the code Parameters

Call RCBS ask for the Techs who work on the ChargeMaster 1500. They gave me the information to change the code parameters. Really nice folks. I adjusted mine every way one could. ( you can adjust it back to factory settings if you desire too). I found different codes for different charge weight ranges worked best for me. I load a lot of Varget in 308s. My charge master will consitently throw .1 loads in 10-15 seconds. I load on a progressive press one stage at a time. It allows my Charge master to remeasure and beep between loads. With primed and ready cases I can easily load over 100 rounds per hour. My extreme spreads and groups have greatly improved since I began using a Charge Master 1500. I am considering buying a second unit so I can leave one set up on both of my benches. Wonder if they will conflict with each other.
Nat lambeth
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM

gidday Len, my name is shayne 'shaynous' from New Zealand, [FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT] i read what you had to say bout the RCBS chargemaster 1500 as i am looking at getting an automated weighing + dispersal system. the two front runners for me at this time are this system and the Lyman 1200.
as i understand things.
the RCBS is good for speed, accuracy, emptying and refilling powders which are all practicle aspects for the reloading process.
the lyman has the ability of being able to plug into a computer which is useful for me as i use a computer for ballistic calcs and like things fairly organised and most importantly legible. my handscript does not always allow for this. the computer means that i dont have bits of papa here and there to.
i am at the point where i am ready to purchase and i am working on the fine details as far as which unit performs and hopefully there is a finalist and runner up.
if you have any detail regarding the lyman i am interested. i understand that the lyman has a slow speed issue for weighing and dispersal. I am also aware that there is an additional bit of kit to get around that. lyman have worked that out. why it isn't part of the unit on sale now i'm not sure, but any way if you have any details here, give us a yell would you?

cheers

shaynous