Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Kevin Hansen, TAC 15 Project Engineer says"
Thanks Len. and thank Kevin for the help !!!!

If they shot 300 grain broad heads on the TAC 15 arrows the spine must be enough.

I plan on shooting 150gr Broad heads and this information realy helps.

I will test the 150s against the 125s and the 100s to see how much difference there is and
the velocity loss.

I just didn't want to blow up the arrows with a Broad head that was two heavy.

Also I know that with a name like TAC 15 the black arrows fit the tactical image but was
wondering if they had though about bright fletching for those that are visually challenged
and would like to find them after going through an animal and into the ground. I understand
that there is no lighted replacement for the knock. (Is this true?).

This cross bow has exceeded everything I had hoped for and I can find no fault with it.

Thanks again.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 07-25-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
PUBLISHER

No lighted nock that I know of. I think they suggested just to paint the end of the arrow including the vanes. Let me know if you figure out the best way to do that.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 AM

Great info on the TAC here! But I have a question: anyone have experience removing the bow from the TACs stock after sight-in, packing around the components, and then reattaching? I'd like to know what affect that has on point of impact. (If no one has tried it, anyone up for the challenge?) My thought is that the TAC is a little bulky for a long trail ride to elk camp (on tight trails and somewhat green horses) and so I'd like to be able to take it apart for packing and then reassemble it at camp. After reassembly, I want to minimize shots fired to verify I'm still on target, as I can't bring the bag target along, and finding a target that won't destroy the arrow once I'm at camp is going to be difficult!

On a related note, any experiences people have of packing compound bows/archery equipment in on horseback in general would be appreciated -- I've done a couple rifle hunts on horseback and two archery hunts where I hiked, carried my weapon, and led in pack horses, but I've yet to carry archery equip (crossbow or compound) on horses, and I'm a little worried about doing it this fall on my Wyoming elk hunt.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 AM
PUBLISHER

I'd try an Elberlestock Gunslinger II backpack to wear while riding. I have one and the assembled crossbow fits just fine. That is what I will use this fall while hiking.

I have no removal experience.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=chimaygr;410123]Great info on the TAC here! But I have a question: anyone have experience removing the bow from the TACs stock after sight-in, packing around the components, and then reattaching? I'd like to know what affect that has on point of impact. (If no one has tried it, anyone up for the challenge?) My thought is that the TAC is a little bulky for a long trail ride to elk camp (on tight trails and somewhat green horses) and so I'd like to be able to take it apart for packing and then reassemble it at camp. After reassembly, I want to minimize shots fired to verify I'm still on target, as I can't bring the bag target along, and finding a target that won't destroy the arrow once I'm at camp is going to be difficult!

I haven't tried it yet but it should be very close because of the fit up of the bow section to
the rail. But I will because I intend to break it down in order to place the entire cross bow,
the AR lower and the 450 bushmaster upper in the same gun case.

It will all go nicely in a long hard case if you take the limb section apart and make for a nice
package (Rifle and cross bow in one case).

It would be nice if PSE would make a hard case for the TAC 15.

If it does not repeat I intend to bed this connection to guarantee the line up each time.

Let me know what you find when you do the test.

Thanks.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

Len,

Thanks for the ballistic chart. Very consistent with what I witnessed yesterday. I was able to get out to 60yds and it was grouping nicely. I did forget to take a chrono out to verify velocity. Next trip out will try a few different types of broadheads to see which ones fly the best. I was surprised when I weighed the field tips that come with the bolts to find out they weighed 85grains. For some reason I assumed they were going to be 100gr. So the drop data will change a bit with the heavier broadheads. (125gr is what I am leaning towards).

When I get drop data for the 125gr I'll get them posted to this thread.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks J E Custom and Len.

Len, that pack looks super long which won't work while on horseback -- nothing can hang down below your lower back and anything that sticks up above your shoulders catches branches and is dangerous (it can lodge on a tree branch and pull you out of the saddle). Unless you were thinking: put the TAC in the pack and then strap it on the pack saddle. That might work, but I still think it looks like the TAC will be too wide and too long. Plus, those crazy pack horses aren't too careful with whatever is strapped on their backs -- anything fragile has to be on top to avoid sideswiping trees/rocks and even then... that's why I thought I'd break down the TAC and either put the stock/scope in a rifle scabbard and the bow separately, or put it in a hard, narrow case on the top of the pack saddle.

JE, I don't have my TAC on hand yet, let me know if you do the test before I get mine and can try it out myself. Any one else that has a TAC want to try zeroing it, take the bow portion off, put it back on and see what effect that had on the zero? Thanks!