Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The North Face Mountain 25 Tent Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The North Face Mountain 25 Tent Review

I have a North Face tent (bluish green/black), but can't remember the model number, and it is one hell of a tent. Had it for years and years now and used it numerous times. It could be the Mountain 25 or the Bastian 4 model (that's what it looks like), but not sure...I'll check someday. They might not even make my model anymore. But it's a big 4 season tent made for arctic expeditions. It stays extraordinarily warm inside.

I highly recommend it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:19 AM

I had this tent for probably 15 years (pretty sure they were always yellow, but later added some white for two panels). They were called the VE25 back then. I used it mostly for mountaineering and winter backpacking on snow shoes, which usually provided tougher weather conditions than 99% of my hunting situations. It's an awesome tent for nasty weather. Pretty much bomb proof....any weather. Nice layout and functional. Love the double doors for getting out without disturbing your partner...or them you. You wouldn't want to use it in warm climates. It doesn't breath well and heats up pretty quickly (which is what makes it so great in cold weather).

But ironically I sold it last year. It's pretty heavy and not that enjoyable to carry on your back. I've carried it up many mountains for mountaineering. Bomb proof 4 season tents generally = heavy, bulky tent. I've opted for a lighter tent for backcountry. I can't imagine I would need this much tent for hunting. I can usually hunker down in a lighter tent and still be comfortable sitting out a storm. Tent placement is also a big factor in determining how it weathers a storm (the photo showing the tent placement looks a little more like a photo opportunity than a well placed tent. Can't imaging anyone would deliberately pick that location if planning to actually sleep in it).
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

You'd be shocked by some of the locations I've set up camp to keep out of the popular game routes! If your tent didn't breath well, it must have been different from this one... we were very pleased to get so little condensation etc.

I also use lighter tents when appropriate, and camp site locations become much more critical. On an Alaska mountain goat hunt this month I used a very light weight and poorly designed tent by MSR. Thank goodness we didn't get more snow!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like I'd best be looking into one of these!

Especially after my recent hunt with minimal shelter.

I'll post about the trip later today on a grandson hunt experience.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 PM

euhmmm ... seriously ? a 2 person tent that weighs in at 9 lbs. 15 oz. ? for that price .. wow ...

Anyway: I'll stick to the best of the best: Hilleberg Allak at 7 lbs 4 oz ... stronger and WAY lighter ...
Even the super crazy strong Hilleberg Staika weighs only 8 lbs 13 oz ...

Why I never by TNF anymore ...
Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Yep... it's pretty hefty. If you look around you will find the Mountain 25 for less than half of what the tents you mention cost. I plan to get my hands on the awesome Hilleberg Jannu this year.