Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review

Extremely happy with the scope !

If you get a chance, try one out.... You will be glad ya did.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.

Can you explain how you would set up this scope if you typically shot at 2800' elevation and randomly hunt at 5000' elevation, the opposite of your review example?????

You stated this in the review:This allows me to do a slight down correction if I travel to higher elevations and I can always dial up a quarter or half MOA from my zero if needed if I go to places that have lower elevation.
For example, I live in Wyoming at about 4650’ ASL. I like to go to Montana to shoot and hunt with a friend in Glasgow, which is 2600’ ASL. When we shot out to an 830 yard steel, I only needed .25 MOA up correction to put me dead on, which equals about 2 inches at that distance. (.25 X 8 = 2”) That shows what a small amount the reticle was off when I changed over 2000’ in elevation. Most shooters, myself included, and especially in a hunting type of situation, can’t hold .25 MOA.

THANKS IN ADVANCE AGAIN
ODAVID
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 AM

I was considering the velocity 1000 reticle for my 300 WM Sendero until I realized by their own words that if temperature, altitude, or incine changes, not even considering using a different bullet, I have a very expensive basic crosshair. With the advancements of ballistic computers, PDA applications, and advanced rangefinders that take into account these changes from initial range conditions, a reticle that would follow the pattern style of the MOAR while adding in wider MOA windage holds as you progress down the reticle would suite any shooter under any condition that has the ability to calculate a shoot-to MOA reading for holdover and windage hold using the reticle. It would be the best of both the MOAR and the Velocity 1000 and satisfy any shooter of any cartridge under any condition.
I sent an extensive and detailed e-mail to the folks at Nightforce as well as talked to one of their reps. at length. They agreed completely with the concept but said R&D doesn't work on anything that their administrative management doesn't initiate. Bottom line if we want a different reticle in production, the consumers of their products such as the members of this and other long range shooting sites need to call in to Nightforce and offer their input and support on such a reticle. Threads such as this and customer response caused nightforce to create a finer MOAR reticle called the MOAR-T. Members please call Nightforce.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I really like that reticle but it sounds like a 2nd focal plane reticle. Given my druthers I'druther have a 1st focal plane scope like my Bushnell ERS 3.5-21 X50 with its H 59 "Christmas tree" reticle.

I dunno, do 1st focal plane scopes cost more to make?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 AM

1st focal plane scopes do cost more, and that would solve the issue of needing to use a specific magnification to get exact MOA increments on the reticle. That being said I would be happy with the aforementioned reticle in either 1st or 2nd focal plane. Vortex optics makes both within reasonable cost, but I don't want to experiment with other brands when Nightforce scopes have been proven. What kind of cost can you place on a missed shot on a guided big game hunt when your scope has been bumped, etc.?