Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review

Quote:
When I saw a chance to T&E the Nightforce Velocity 1000 reticle, I threw my name into the hat right away. I have ran the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 Compact scope with the 600 High Velocity reticle for years now on a lightweight 6x47 Lapua coyote rifle and relished the chance to try out the Velocity 1000 model. I already had the perfect platform in mind to test it on and was very excited when my name was drawn to test it out.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review, By Scott Shreve. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review

I Have been following this scope for a long time. rather expensive but so is quality. junk is cheap.

Listed below are some of my concerns.

1. I BELIEVE YOU MENTIONED THE RETICLE IS SETUP TO PERFORM AT THE MAXIMUM SCOPE POWER..... DID I UNDERSTAND RIGHT????? What happens when you want just say 10 x magnification??????? Still accurate????? I have no use for a scope at 3.5 power.

2. How do you test and confirm the horizonal hash marks for wind velocity. Is there a standard for each hash mark? Say example; 10 mph from 9 oclock hold 1 hash on the Left side?????

3. This sounds like a 2nd focal plane scope explain the differences and advantages on both????

4. How thick where the cross hairs at 1000 yds on the target when at maximum magnification??? could you still see a 1 foot steel target enough to make out the target edges. How about a smaller target like a gallon milk jug????

Thank you for sharing your excellent review.
odavid
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM
SPONSOR

To answer your questions...

1. It is set up to run on maximum power with the reticle. You can run at other powers and dial as well.

2. The wind hash marks are 5, 10, 15 MPH holds for a full value wind from 3 or 9 o'clock.

3. Yes it is a second focal plane scope/reticle. It doesn't stay constant thru the power range adjustment like a FFP.

4. The scope is at 15x and you can see in my article the thru the scope steel picture at almost 1000 yards is easily seen. That steel is 24" diameter for reference. You could easily see those other target sizes you mentioned as well.

Thanks for your comments and questions.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM
SPONSOR

Messages replied to.

Please post questions here so all can benefit.

Thanks !
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Good review! Thank you. Looking at the Nightforce site it appears there is also an F1 version (FFP) if that's a persons preference.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

So what are the advantages to ffp scopes?? Disadvantages are more cost..... Not sure I can justify paying more to have the cross hairs align the same when the magnification is increased. It seems to me this scope works at the highest magnification settingThat is the way it was designed to work. So no point in increasing the magnification. So Cross hairs will be the same cause there is no change in magnification.

If I have it wrong then let me know.
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

I may have misspoke about this reticle being available. I went back and looked, and there is a velocity reticle 1000 listed, but it's the LV.5. I sent an e-mail to Nightforce hoping to clarify the point.
I don't wish to open the FFP-SFP debate, it tends to generate a lot of heat. Use the search bar top right corner to read them.
For ME-the velocity reticle in FFP makes sense in one application, I have a semi-auto being built for predator hunting. Coyotes etc. can be shot as multiples, or as a single with the range changing with each shot. For me the scope will likely be on the lowest setting to start with. and not having to dial turrets or power rings seems like the better way to go. Sender_Man has shot a hell of a lot more coyotes than I have, and his opinion should carry more weight than mine. As far as expense, the price of higher end optics keeps going up, and up, and as individuals we all have limits.