Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

Len what does that rifle weigh with the scope? I'm thinking of building a lightweight edge hunting rifle with that stock and scope combo. I'd love to know the details of the rifle.
Thanks Tony.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 AM
PUBLISHER

Tony, the rifle without scope or mounts weighs 8.1#. We sold it and shipped it already.

7mm Dakota - Ready To Ship

We have an identical one being built as we speak.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Bronze Member

I spent last weekend shooting steel (xp-100 .243 wssm) with the NF SHV to a 1000 yards and was really impressed with the quality of the optics. Much brighter and better clarity than my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP. Razor sharp image, and as I stated in my earlier review, a very precise reticle (MOAR). Shooting was done throughout the day through different light conditions.
We were shooting a mile the day before at a 24" x24" swinger with my 6.5 x .284 that wears the Vortex scope. With the two guns side by side on the bench sighted on the 1 mile target to compare optics, the NF was the clear winner.
Tracking was perfect when inputting corrections from "shooter" app. -It was very easy to hold center and put hits on the 10" diameter swinger we had up at a 1000 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting more long range steel with this scope, and terrorizing rock chucks with it next spring
This scope is a winner in my book.

-Mike
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Hunter View Post
I spent last weekend shooting steel (xp-100 .243 wssm) with the NF SHV to a 1000 yards and was really impressed with the quality of the optics. Much brighter and better clarity than my Vortex 4-16 PST FFP. Razor sharp image, and as I stated in my earlier review, a very precise reticle (MOAR). Shooting was done throughout the day through different light conditions.
We were shooting a mile the day before at a 24" x24" swinger with my 6.5 x .284 that wears the Vortex scope. With the two guns side by side on the bench sighted on the 1 mile target to compare optics, the NF was the clear winner.
Tracking was perfect when inputting corrections from "shooter" app. -It was very easy to hold center and put hits on the 10" diameter swinger we had up at a 1000 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting more long range steel with this scope, and terrorizing rock chucks with it next spring
This scope is a winner in my book.

-Mike

I was with Mike that weekend and I have to agree, the NF was the winner in clear glass department. I was going to get the Vortex but I changed my mind after shooting Mikes xp100 with the NF on it. Not knocking the Vortex at all. I hit the mile steel with it, but having that little bit of extra clear glass was enough for me to change my mind . Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 10-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I'm glad to hear that others are as impressed with the SHV as I was. NF really produced a nice scope for the intended purpose and priced it accordingly.

Geb
Old 10-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebhardt02 View Post
I'm glad to hear that others are as impressed with the SHV as I was. NF really produced a nice scope for the intended purpose and priced it accordingly.

Geb
Yes they did!
Rupe
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 11-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Is there any chance NF will come out with it soon with a zero stop? How important is it to have a zero stop in a hunting situation. I'm looking at buying this scope or the BD huskemaw, what scope would be better?