Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

I was pretty exhausted last night after getting home and figured I had missed some of the specs on the scope somehow, but the length, weight, reticles, click values, etc. are all listed in the article.

Regarding what the elevation turret looks like in size while making an adjustment, here is a picture. I didn't cover the turret as though I was turning it to a different setting, but you get an idea of the size.

One thing to keep in mind is that the turrets were kept small for a reason, so you didn't have excessively large turrets sticking out on a hunting style rifle. The protective caps keep them covered well and are fairly small in comparison to other brands that have finger adjustable turrets. There was a lot of thought that went into this design. These turrets work very well and the scope tracks correctly.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

I'm guessing, since you didn't mention it, that the SHV doesn't have a Zero Stop elevation knob. That would have been a nice feature.

I do like the way the adjustment knobs are held on with the single silver screw. Nikon has been doing it for years and it works well. I, too, am no fan of the tiny set screws around the knobs.

Great review of a great looking scope. Looking forward to getting one in my hands to try.
Martin
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

You are correct, no zero stop feature.

Geb
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

If they had chose a zero stop instead of an illuminated reticle I would be all over this scope. Thanks for the updated picture!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

I am scope dumb so please excuse my ignorance but would this be a suitable rifle scope for 1000 yards on a 308 Win or possibly a 7 rem mag? I'm trying to get into the nightforce world and this scope is now a viable option. Great article.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

I think this scope would work out well if you are looking to step up to Nightforce quality but haven't been able to afford their other offerings. This scope has the optical qualities to ID targets at long range and the adjustments will get the corrections in. It'll also be suitable for a wide range of other applications if you need it to. You can order an SHV through the longrangehunting.com web store.

Geb
Old 04-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

I liked the article, and can't wait to see it at the local stores so I can actually look through the scope. Thanks again for the review.