Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Awesome review.

Has there been any talk with Nightforce about the thinner subtension lines with the crosshairs? It would be enough for me to upgrade to the ATACR.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Ive had mine now for a few weeks and have another coming on my LRKM soon. Im very pleased with the clarity and MOAR in it. Broz was right on target with the review of this scope. I was going to get another NXS, Now I'll be buying ATACR for my next rifles. I put mine on an Allen XHS 338 Allen Mag I just picked up 1.5 months ago. it was an good improvement over the NXS 5.5x22x50.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Bronze Member

The Wait For The MOAR Version Through My Dealer Was Getting Too Long, So I Went With The Mil-R
Version And Don't Regret My Decision. I Really Like The Ranging Sub Reticle In Lower Right Quadrant. Glass Is Definitely More Crisp Than Standard Nxs Glass. Everything Else Is Typical Nightforce. Can't Wait To Get My Rifle Done To Put It To Use
Old 06-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Great read and follow up thread. Does anyone know if the NF Comp. 15-55 sports the same glass as the ATACR? Do you think you could do group shooting at 1000 well with 25 power?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the review. I've been looking for something with this kind of internal elevaltion to use on my 7 Dakota and my 338LM Improved (both of which go to the desert for ELR adventures). I guess its time to get in the queue and snag a couple.

Jeffvn
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Armored Transport - You might want to visit some of the Benchrest web sites and do some reading. The new 15-55 is not being received all that favorably. Questions regarding eye-relief and availability/reticle chooses. From what I have been reading many are staying with the earlier Nightforce choices.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Armored Transport - You might want to visit some of the Benchrest web sites and do some reading. The new 15-55 is not being received all that favorably. Questions regarding eye-relief and availability/reticle chooses. From what I have been reading many are staying with the earlier Nightforce choices.
I have been reading on other forums about the new ATACR and it is getting a warm welcome from many. Even from the owner of a prominent military based site who is known to be a die hard FFP guy. I was pleased and surprised to read his praise of the ATACR. But.. I can not comment on the bench rest models, I do not shoot off a bench much and shoot to distances well beyond what is normal for BR.

This week I have been setting up my second ATACR and have shot from 100 yards to 2500, all done on 25X. Plus some reticle alignment on a 1/4" line at 80 yards in 90* bright sun. The eye box on the ATACR is easily acquired. I have also grown more satisfied with the MOAR reticle in the ATACR and it's slightly thicker sub-tensions. Even though I would like to see a thinner crosshair in the floating X I am having no issues shooting groups with the current MOAR.

The only draw back to the ATACR is it runs a bit heavier than the NXS's. But that is not an issue on my long range rigs where a scope of this caliber shines, well past 1000 yards. I am still very much a fan of the NXS scopes, but if buying new I doubt I will let another $350 stand in the way of buying the ATACR. That is unless it is simply for a rifle or caliber that does not need the upgraded features of the ATACR.

I am really liking this scope guys!!! My opinion since this review has only grown fonder with more use.

Jeff