Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Re: Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Jeff,

Great read, you have answered any questions I may have had. I do agree the thinner subtension lines on the floating center would be the cats meow for sure. But sounds like the benefits far outweigh the shortcomings.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Jeff:

Just got finished in reviewing your review of the Atacr VS NSF and agree there will be advantage with the Atacr for long range low light shooting. How ever I believe dial up it still the way to go.

Great job Jeff, keep up the good work and go out an whack a mutt of two.

Charlie
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

Jeff,

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this review. Very much appreciated.

You make it clear that the illuminated reticle really does not bring anything to the table for low-light long distance shots ... In your opinion do you think the same is true of the illuminated reticle in a low-light situation at close yardage in the forest? In thick timber at the edges of shooting light, I have always found that sticks/branches all over the place hide the reticle... I'm thinking illumination would help this situation ... ?

Ok Ok, now I need to find an ATACR in stock somewhere.

Chad
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto on what everyone else says Jeff, absolutely great review and thanks for the dedicated time to do it. Also, no worries and taking photos that way, its a bitch to do with holding a camera in front of a scope---i think they turned out okay.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Jeff,
You make it clear that the illuminated reticle really does not bring anything to the table for low-light long distance shots ... In your opinion do you think the same is true of the illuminated reticle in a low-light situation at close yardage in the forest? In thick timber at the edges of shooting light, I have always found that sticks/branches all over the place hide the reticle... I'm thinking illumination would help this situation ... ?
Chad
Chad, this is the one part of the test I didn't get to do. You have a very valid question. I want to know the answer too. So here is what I am going to do. In the next few days I will take the ATACR to a heavy pine tree timber. I will go when light is good and again towards last light. Before I go I will adjust the intensity of the Ill. reticle down low in a dark room and remove all glare so it only lights the reticle enough to see it. Then we will know for sure. I also want to see the ED glad in dark timber with no illumination. Then I will report it here.

My feeling is with the reticle giving off any light it will reduce visibility of the target. But I do not want to base this on an opinion, so I will test it for sure.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
SPONSOR

Good review on an awesome scope but the country and wildlife was jealousy-inspiring! You're a blessed man, Jeff. Thanks for the article.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Wow, what a good review. Thanks I will be looking for that scope.