Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Quote:
I'll start my review of the new Nightforce ATACR with some first impressions and a little bench testing. Both the windage and elevation turrets have nice firm detents that click positively into place. Spacing of the newer 20 moa high speed turret on the ATACR is closer together but distinct and easy to read. The Nightforce ATACR scope does weigh in heavier than the tried and true NXS at 38oz. I will assume that is from the larger tube and higher quality ED glass. But it does come in a bit shorter, right at 3/4" shorter than a NXS 5.5~22. Eye relief is 3.54" and I found the eye box very easy to get in on full magnification. Field of view is great at 17.96' on 5x and 4.92' on 25x. To give a comparison here, that is larger at both ends than the S&B 5-25 that has 2' less on 25x. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Nightforce ATACR Scope Review, By Jeff Brozovich. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Jeff,
First let me thank you for all the time, and work you put into this review. As always your review was very thorough, and contained a lot of information for anyone contemplating this scope,myself included. I already own 2 5.x22nxs' with the MOAR and was waiting on your review to decide which to put on my 300. you answered the question I had about the glass which was the quality of the ED glass being worth the higher price tag? Sounds like it will be worth the investment, also glad to hear you liked the MOAR reticle. Thanks again for all your hard work,even if it was a labor of love.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM

So this was a 5-25X56 that was reviewed, sorry but I must have missed the actual model. Thanks much for a great review. I'm a 308 guy but just bought my first 300wm and am not sure how much scope I need. I was going to just use a 3.5-15X50 which is what I have on my 308's. is this too little glass? Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohunter View Post
So this was a 5-25X56 that was reviewed, sorry but I must have missed the actual model. Thanks much for a great review. I'm a 308 guy but just bought my first 300wm and am not sure how much scope I need. I was going to just use a 3.5-15X50 which is what I have on my 308's. is this too little glass? Thanks in advance for helping out a new guy.
Yes, the review was on the new Nightforce ATACR it is 5~25x56 senond focal plane. The one I reviewed was in .25moa with the MOAR reticles that is in 1 moa sub-tensions. However they are also available in Mil / Mil as well.

The amount of upper elevation is only relevant to how far you intend to shoot. If you are going past 1000 I doubt you would be disappointed in having the option to enlarge the target further with the 25X. However 15X will do the job to past 1000 for sure.

And you are both welcome, I am very pleased you found the review helpful.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks again, think I'll go with the 25 power
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff, very very good review, i enjoyed it, and not to be too critical but i noticed that on the first page under a pic of the rifle, it had the load data in bold and instead of the 300 grain berger it said 330 grain berger.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Jeff, very very good review, i enjoyed it, and not to be too critical but i noticed that on the first page under a pic of the rifle, it had the load data in bold and instead of the 300 grain berger it said 330 grain berger.
Yep, that's what I am shooting. .388 OTM Hybrid 330 gr... or maybe my typing skills are not the best...

jeff