Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Leupold Redfield Revolution Scope Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Leupold Redfield Revolution Scope Review

Quote:
Perhaps one might think of scope testing on the Leupold VX scopes that should begin by running them over with a truck. Instead, I do the next best thing; I strap them to a M77 Ruger Hawkeye African Rifle in .375 Ruger with Cape buffalo loads. If that doesn't shake up a scope not much will.
Leupold scopes earn their keep year after year, made by hunters, for hunters, and made right here in the USA. Newest of the Leupolds, is the Redfield Brand. I like the Redfield Revolution 3x9 40mm. You can't beat it for value, a no-nonsense $160.00 at many local retailers.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Leupold Redfield Revolution Scope Review, By Ed Hale. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Re: Leupold Redfield Revolution Scope Review

I am looking to buy a hunting scope. Have been looking for a deal on a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40. I would like the LR reticle. What would be the Redfield version of this? Will it stand up to the Cape buffalo rifle?

This reminds be of the light bulb we used to draw when I was a kid-
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

Not to knock the author, but it seems the first and maybe second paragraphs are about the Redfield and the rest is about the Leupold... Good review about that though.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

I own the Redfield 2-7x32 scope, and it is far from my best scope. The low end Burris scopes clearly have better optics. I have owned most of the Timberline series of scopes, and wouldn't trade any of them for a new Redfield.

At 2X, the Redfield isn't bad, but at 4X you will have a light leak all around the image field edge, it mostly goes away at 7X. Not a dealbreaker, considering I paid $130 for the scope. I got what I paid for, which isn't too awfully much. It sits on a Ruger 10/22 for fun plinking purposes.

None of my Weaver Classic V or Burris Signature scope will be pulled off a hunting rifle to mount a Redfield scope. Of course, I paid much more for those scopes, and got what I paid for.

Better to buy the Redfield that to buy some piece of crap from China, however. Of course, the Redfield is NOT totally made in the USA but only assembled and tested here. You are going to find it stuffed full of Chinese manufactured glass at that price, and the glass acts like Chinese glass as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSF350 View Post
I am looking to buy a hunting scope. Have been looking for a deal on a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40. I would like the LR reticle. What would be the Redfield version of this? Will it stand up to the Cape buffalo rifle?

This reminds be of the light bulb we used to draw when I was a kid-
If I had the $$ to afford and to use a Cape Buffalo rifle...a Redfield scope would be the last thing Id be looking at. I own 2 ( 3-9x50 and 4-12x40) and they are OK...for their cost...but I dont want to put them on any rifle, hunting some thing that might "Eat me"..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM

I own two of the new Redfields (3-9X40 and 4-12x40) and find them to be as good as any of my other optics (Leupold VX-3, Bushnell Elite 4200, Sightron SII, Burris FFII, etc). I find them to be an excellent value (good glass, great warranty, made in the USA, etc). Aside from appearance, which I find generally unappealing (especially out of place, in my opinion, on a "fine" rifle), they have quickly become my "go to" entry level scope.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM

A friend had one of the Leupold RIFLEMAN Scopes when they first hit the bricks. We tried to sight it in and never could make it repeatedly shoot a 1 inch group. AND YES we did check action, the base and the rings screws, rings as well as anything else that might affect the Remington 700's accuracy.

Overall I was not impressed and I like Leupold a LOT! I think its Leupold's way of getting into the cheap scope market. I have an old Tasco, and a Simmons on junkers that shot better and hold their zero.

My advise is spend the extra money and buy either the new VXI or buy a VX II.

I have been buying used VXII's off E-Bay and having the factory refurbish and still manage to stay below MSRP for a new scope.