Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator

How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review

Quote:
I was eager to watch Best of the West’s How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief DVD to see what new information I could glean from it. I have asked three other shooters of different levels to also review the video. I did not share any of my opinions of the DVD with the reviewers. I simply asked them to watch it and then give me their thoughts.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review, By Ernie Bishop. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review, By Ernie Bishop. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
OK , I'll admit that I am probably a little biased in my opinions about the vidio and I can see that some of the reviewers missed alot of information and would get a lot more info with a second or third viewing. I am sure I saw a chart in the vidio that told percentages for up or down angles and David Tubbs spends quite a bit of time on flag position verses wind speed . I have been shooting long range for only about four years, mostly groundhogs and I know that the information in the vidio has made me a much better shot. The one small piece of information presented by John Porter on the rise or drop caused by spin drift and wind is worth all the money paid for the vidio and some long time shooters won't even admit that it exists. You can't teach an old dog new tricks so all us young dogs will probably benefit the most from this vidio!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
SPONSOR

Paphil,
I am glad you enjoyed the DVD, I sure did.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Why did they name this DVD, how to dope the wind?

When I saw there was a 90 minute video on how to dope the wind I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. 30 minutes into the video and they still hadn't addressed the topic and I knew I'd been had. At the start of the video we heard all the experts tell us that doping the wind was important. I think most of us know that, or we wouldn't have laid out nearly $50 to get the video! This would be a good video for the new shooter as it explains the history of firearms from the 1300's , and topics like, what does velocity mean, what is MOA, what is ballistic coefficient etc. There's also quite a bit of discussion on the Trijicon optics and how the military ranges distances with them. Interesting but off topic. Yes they do eventually get around to talking about doping the wind, but it's too little too late, and it left me hungry for information. David Tubb and John Porter do make some good points and they marketed this video well using their names. You'll hear far more about Huskemaw scopes, and wind meters, and why you need to buy them then about doping the wind. In the end it was just like a Taco Bell Taco. Lots of filler without much meat!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM

I too was excited to get my hands on the 90 minute video on how to dope the wind! I watched it this morning and i do have to say; there is quite a bit of great information in the video. However, the amount of beginner information is quite abundant. Like they said though "we need to get everyone on the same page" its nice that i can be assured that i actually did know moa, velocity, and ballistic coefficient.
I have always been fascinated with long range hunting but have never been able to get my hands on capable equipment. I had always thought that there was a secret behind doping the wind. the fact is, and they say it in the video: being good at doping the wind equates to practice, practice, practice. Same as a golf swing, you must know the basics; you can practice till your blue in the face, but if you havnt had the correct form while you were practicing, it is all for not.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Visually great production; very professional.

Was astounded at the MIL explanation: They really don't get it. DON'T mix inches with MIL. Don't do calculations where you multiply with 2,54 "in your head". The example in the film should correctly be described 500:2 = 250.

Bullets climb/ drop in wind? (1 MOA per 3 MOA drift wasn't it?) Shouldn't this show on doppler radar and thus be described by the ballistical scientists?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Some people are great athletes but poor play-by-play commentators. John Porter exemplifies those that can do both when he uses slow-mo and graphic animation to draw in the vertical component of spindrift while explaining his Alaska moose shot & again when he addresses mirage. David Tubbs is a very technical minded shooter who probably has beat more competitors with his thinking than his trigger finger...his explanations for instance on angle shooting where he breaks out the lateral distance component for drop correction but reminds us to use the full line of sight distance for crosswind component correction is genius and should be rewound and replayed to imbed it in our minds. Steve Goff's comments are concise and if you will review his dissertation on the 10 O'clock to 4 O'clock vertical component of RH twist spindrift in a crosswind you will get some gold. Frankly, Bobby Hart should do some preparation before he opens his mouth on this DVD, his remarks on BC,twist rate and wind did not showcase his talents. More over Mike Colpo may be a wonderful shooter and hopefully instructor but he also opened his mouth before he engaged his brain, telling me something is "very,very important" or"is what it is" is worthless verbiage . Lance Hopper has potential but needs to get over that on camera deer-in-the-headlights stare so you know when he is about to spit out a nugget of wisdom. That's pretty harsh commentary but after wasting the first third (approx 30 mins) of the DVD on equine excrement my patience was wearing thin. I had hungered for a DVD as I am a visual learner(hint there are also kinesthetic & auditory) and though there were great plays in this game the fumbles and penalties distracted more than a little. Not as good dollar for dollar overall as THE WIND BOOK cunningham&miller.

Last edited by CRaTxn; 03-26-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling