Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Hensoldt Storms The US Market By David M. Fortier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hensoldt Storms The US Market By David M. Fortier

Quote:
When it comes to building high quality precision optics, Germany has been at it longer than anyone else. They have built a virtually unmatched reputation over the past two centuries. Their expertise in this area extends into the medical, sporting and even the military fields.

Hensoldt, though, is not as well known here in the USA, which is a pity. Now a part of the Zeiss Gruppe, Hensoldt specializes in producing top-tier optics for military and law enforcement. While its scopes have been unavailable here in recent years, after a long hiatus, the well-respected Hensoldt line is once again available to American riflemen through Hunt Distribution Company (HuDisCo).
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Hensoldt Storms The US Market, By David M. Fortier. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hensoldt Storms The US Market By David M. Fortier

Impressive, one more scope to consider for my next rifle project.
Thanks for the article, very interesting and very well written.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Nice article on another tactical scope option for those that have the financial resources and are willing to carry a heavy scope and pay for top-tier optics.

Thanks for sharing this information and conclusions from your examination of your loaner/test models. An educational read on the Hensoldts.

Last edited by phorwath; 09-11-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: multiple spelling errors
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Very nice article. However, the author has probably never heard of Schmidt und Bender, the premier GERMAN telecopic sight manufacturer. S & B probably make the best scopes on earth. I'd like to own one someday.

JB
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Bronze Member

Anybody aware of Hensoldt's existence is most likely very familiar with Zeiss and S&B.

Personally I *do* think Hensoldt makes better scopes than S&B -- I've owned both a Hensoldt 3-12x56 FF and a S&B PMII 5-25x56 LP P4F, and I preferred the Hensoldt. Now they are both gone and I shoot a Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x56 mil-dot with the new ASV elevation turret, it's better for my purposes, but if I had to choose again ( and I might, depending on how things turn out on a LR project rifle ) , I'd probably pick the Hensoldt over S&B.

These are top tier manufacturers and the differences are mostly fractions of a percent in any objectively measurable attribute, boiling really down to personal preference. It's just that I like the extreme optical and mechanical quality of Hensoldt, combined with compact size and good ergonomics. If I had to suggest improvements on the Hensoldt, the only thing I'd really come up with is a Gen 2 mildot reticle.

Last edited by JRu; 09-17-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin B View Post
Very nice article. However, the author has probably never heard of Schmidt und Bender, the premier GERMAN telecopic sight manufacturer. S & B probably make the best scopes on earth. I'd like to own one someday.

JB
I concur, SCHMIDT&BENDER is top of the line scopes I currently own the 5x25x56with a 34mm tube and a PM 11 / P4F reticule on top a Accuracy International 50BMG shoots out to a mile without a glitch and transitions flawless, it was costly but worth the investment. I had previously (shortly ,1Hour) owned the Heinstelt 5x25 top of the line also the glass was not as good as i was told (not sharp enough) plus it had a black spec in the lens.When i am going to pay $3600.00 dollars for a scope it better be flawless..I am currently looking at the 5x25x56 with 34mm tube that Premier Reticule makes Does anybody have a first hand experiance (owns one) ontheir new models with flip top turrets ????? good or bad transitioning and quality of the glass in good weather and bad weather ??

Last edited by jdlotto; 11-30-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlotto View Post
Heinstelt 5x25
What is a "Heinstelt 5x25"?

Quote:
top of the line also the glass was not as good as i was told
If you compare S&B and Hensoldt side by side ( which I've done, often, with several scopes ) , you'll see the glass on Hensoldt is on par or slightly better than S&B. In fact, it's pretty easy to recognize S&B's weak spot when compared to Zeiss and Hensoldt.

Hensoldt's weakness is the mechanicals, here in Finland four out of five Hensoldts I know of have been returned to factory for repairs, mostly due to lenses cracking or coming loose on top of 338LM, and the latest problem a friend of mine had with his 3-12x56 FF was the rheostat breaking.

Quote:
it had a black spec in the lens.
So? I had to return my S&B PM II 5-25x56 L/P P4F to factory because it had a spec of dust on the lens system inside. Hardly a conclusive sample size to judge all S&B's.

These are the top 1% of scopes sold anywhere in the world so the differences really are insignificant. But your review of "Heinstelt 5x25" is not very convincing, if you're trying to refer to the Hensoldt 6-24. If there really exists a "Heinstelt 5x25" , you just might be correct it's inferior to S&B, as I have never heard of it...