Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion


Reply

Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #204  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Taupo, New Zealand
Posts: 33
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

As far putting in wind values I guess you still need a wind meter, and how do you allow for wind direction corrections when you put the end value into the G7 BR2 ?
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 03-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Castle colorado
Posts: 791
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

You still have to do a little calculating for wind. The BR2 will give corrections for wind speeds in 5 mph increments. I measure wind speed with an anemometer, then I use .1 of the 10 mph correction X wind speed. Ex. 4.5 MOA for a 10 mph wind and I have a 3.5 mph cross wind. 3.5 X .45 = 1.575 MOA correction. The angle of the wind to your bullet path will add another variable.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,900
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika Slayer View Post
As far putting in wind values I guess you still need a wind meter, and how do you allow for wind direction corrections when you put the end value into the G7 BR2 ?
Yes, you still need to have a wind meter so all other devices are not eliminated unless you want to guess. The G7 gives you corrections in 5 mph wind increments and only for full value wind. You push buttons to page through the values to find you closest wind. If you have a 7 mph wind from a 10 o:clock (1/2 value) you will need to look at the difference between the given 5mph and 10mph then divided that for the 1/2 value you have. One reason I sold my G7 and continue to use my ballistic app. If you want to get down and split hairs on a windy day using an app is just as fast in my opinion.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 75
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, you still need to have a wind meter so all other devices are not eliminated unless you want to guess. The G7 gives you corrections in 5 mph wind increments and only for full value wind. You push buttons to page through the values to find you closest wind. If you have a 7 mph wind from a 10 o:clock (1/2 value) you will need to look at the difference between the given 5mph and 10mph then divided that for the 1/2 value you have. One reason I sold my G7 and continue to use my ballistic app. If you want to get down and split hairs on a windy day using an app is just as fast in my opinion.

Jeff

I just bought a BR2 and a Kestrel 4500NV Ballistic. I figure between the two i should be able to get a decent solution. (shooter app for backup)
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 73
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmissouriman View Post
I've read through several pages of this thread, but not all. If this question has already been asked and answered, I apologize for the repeat. When those who own the G7 range game and getting accurate readings, are you using it on a tripod or can you accurately range without the use of a tripod? I have big dreams of getting one of these this summer and I don't think the answer will sway me either way, but I am curious. I'm very hopeful that it will not require a tripod as my gun is plenty to pack around as is.
One of the benefits of using the G7 is the bigger beam puts more signal on the target when using offhand. The targeting modes can separate near and far targets. I feel this device is one of the best for offhand ranging.

A side benefit of a larger beam, is we can also output more power and remain Class 1 eye safe. Combine the features above with multiple light pulses for additive signal (up to 5 second measurements) and you can really dig ranges out of tough conditions.

We do offer a 1/4-20 thread if you do decide to mount on a tripod, but I would rarely utilize that feature for hunting situations.
__________________
Aaron Davidson
Product Engineer
www.gunwerks.com
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 154
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdavidson View Post
One of the benefits of using the G7 is the bigger beam puts more signal on the target when using offhand. The targeting modes can separate near and far targets. I feel this device is one of the best for offhand ranging.

A side benefit of a larger beam, is we can also output more power and remain Class 1 eye safe. Combine the features above with multiple light pulses for additive signal (up to 5 second measurements) and you can really dig ranges out of tough conditions.

We do offer a 1/4-20 thread if you do decide to mount on a tripod, but I would rarely utilize that feature for hunting situations.
Thanks for the great information. It's nice to hear from someone who makes them! I can't wait to get my hands on one. It won't be long, I've made up my mind. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kindred, ND
Posts: 303
Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Aaron, what do you think of a LRH group buy? It would probably entice a few more people to try out the unit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLRF10 Rangefinder review RDM416 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 5 11-15-2011 03:47 PM
Rangefinder REVIEW - NEWCON 2000Pro - Monocular 300rum Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 19 02-09-2010 01:33 PM
Rangefinder review Big Sky Equipment Discussions 15 05-06-2007 09:21 AM
Opti-logic rangefinder review Preda8or Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 07-05-2006 10:47 PM
2000 yard rangefinder review MOA Equipment Discussions 8 12-29-2002 02:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC