Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
i dont understand all the beam width talk and frankly dont even care to.
Beam divergence is a key factor in rangefinder performance. Your Swarovski has a round shape beam with a larger beam divergence (wider angle so it gets bigger [the beam width, that is] the further away from you it gets. A wide, round beam and cause problems quickly, especially on flat ground as the bottom of the beam could be ranging at 500 yds and the top at, say 800 yds with your target likely somewhere in the middle and good hits on the target tough to get.

I think many folks like a small beam (narrow angle so the beam doesn't get so big way out there so you can be more confident the beam is on your target and not a bunch of other stuff) that is retangular with the horizontal dimension longer than the vertical dimension--more in line with the shape of the body of an big game animal minus the legs and head. But small beam divergence (narrower beam than wider) is, I think, a good thing in most instances.

http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/...%5B1162%5D.pdf

Beam divergence on the Swarovski Laser Guide is 2 milradians and the beam shape is round as I understand it from several past conversations here.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 01-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Mr. Aaron Davidson-

What is the beam width divergence of the Gunwerks G7 BR2?

Lots of discerning customers won't spend $1600 without knowing this specification.

Thank you.
gseven - G7 BR2

2 x 4 milradians. So, bigger than the Swarovski Laser Guide, which is round shape and 2 milradians. Not sure which dimenion is horizontal/vertical on the G7. Pretty big divergence, but I'm not sure how often these guys plan on shooting much beyond 1K. This has been one of my main concerns with this unit. Perhaps the near/far targeting mode can help with this, but I just don't see when a large beam divergence is ever going to be a good thing. Until I can afford the new Swarovski bino/rangefinder combo, I'm sticking with the smaller divergence and rectangular shape beam that Leica has.

http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html

Good article that discusses beam divergence/shape issues a bit showing what happens with this, although a bit out of date. Note the 2.5 milradian width x .5 milradian height of the Leica beam and the issues later on with the large beam divergence of the Swarovski Laser guide.

http://www.eurooptic.com/PDF/Swarovs...g-Document.pdf

Page 6 of this Swarovski Training Document for the EL Range shows a beam divergence of 1.5 milradians by .5 milradians. Now that is pretty doggone good beam divergence and shape.

Not sure what the Vectronix units are doing...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 01-16-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Sponsor

I asked them about beam div when they send me the G7 and I read the specs. They talked of the programing in the RF to be able to detect beam strength from the multiple pulses given off by one firing of the unit. It then gives you the strongest feed back range, this is usually the most verticle target (side of the animal). Signals with less strength are culled in favor of the strongest signal. It is my understanding that the large beam div was made on purpose to accomodate this target strength technology. I was somewaht skeptical but what they told me made sense. I may have not made my testing clear because the large beam div was a concern to me as well. I ranged probably a hundred targets from rock faces to stumps on a nearly flat ridge top (going down the ridge). Out to 1400 yards there was never more than a yard or 2 difference between the G7 and the Vectronix. This really suprised me as I thought the results would be much different. Now at longer distances say 1700-2000 yards there were some diferences in range but this is not the operating zone of the G7 nor was it ever intended to be. Out to any distance the G7 will give you a balistic solution it stayed right with my Vetronix. I used it all hunting season in the locations I thought the shooting was going to be under 1400 yards. Now I don't have quick access to rolling sage flats so was not able to test there but I tested in locations that would have given a Swaro or Leica fits due to the flat nature of the terrain. My opinion is still the same if you are a 3 digit shooter or even out to 1200-1300 yards the G7 has a serious speed advantage and I could not see where my Vertonix/Recon/Kestrel/ ACI setup had even a single advantage over the G7. I won't be getting rid of my other setup anytime in the future but I have left it at home in favor of the G7 quite a few times.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
I asked them about beam div when they send me the G7 and I read the specs. They talked of the programing in the RF to be able to detect beam strength from the multiple pulses given off by one firing of the unit. It then gives you the strongest feed back range, this is usually the most verticle target (side of the animal). Signals with less strength are culled in favor of the strongest signal. It is my understanding that the large beam div was made on purpose to accomodate this target strength technology. I was somewaht skeptical but what they told me made sense. I may have not made my testing clear because the large beam div was a concern to me as well. I ranged probably a hundred targets from rock faces to stumps on a nearly flat ridge top (going down the ridge). Out to 1400 yards there was never more than a yard or 2 difference between the G7 and the Vectronix. This really suprised me as I thought the results would be much different. Now at longer distances say 1700-2000 yards there were some diferences in range but this is not the operating zone of the G7 nor was it ever intended to be. Out to any distance the G7 will give you a balistic solution it stayed right with my Vetronix. I used it all hunting season in the locations I thought the shooting was going to be under 1400 yards. Now I don't have quick access to rolling sage flats so was not able to test there but I tested in locations that would have given a Swaro or Leica fits due to the flat nature of the terrain. My opinion is still the same if you are a 3 digit shooter or even out to 1200-1300 yards the G7 has a serious speed advantage and I could not see where my Vertonix/Recon/Kestrel/ ACI setup had even a single advantage over the G7. I won't be getting rid of my other setup anytime in the future but I have left it at home in favor of the G7 quite a few times.
Thanks, Shawn. That insight is valuable.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
gseven - G7 BR2

2 x 4 milradians.
Thanks for the link...that must've just been posted...as I checked the website prior to making the post.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

It would be a huge plus if the ballistics calc would work in milliradian.
Atlas BT10 + Seekins sling rail
Karstan Cheek Rest
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Gold Member

Of course lighting conditions and other factors affect the rangefinders ability to give a reading, we've all seen that with all of them. But their ability to give us a number is not what I was referring to at all. Their ability to give an accurate number on flat ground when the landscape or vegetation is more reflective than the target is what this is about.[/QUOTE]

well that may be true, especially for those who do primarily hunt fairly flat terrain.
i will say this in defence of my swarovski.
over the last 2 years ive made two five day trips to montana for prairie dogs.
the terrain was fairly flat where i hunted and had typical prairie dog surroundings.
i didnt attempt any readings beyond about 650 yds. the sun was bright enough that i came back with a burn. i cant remember a single incident where my unit didnt give satisfactory results. as the distance increases however the realibility of the unit decreases. on some days i cant get a reading on any target regardless of size. it could be a rock as big as your car. nothing comes up. ive tried everything including a tripod. when it works it works well.
but on certain days it wont work at all on targets over about 800 yds.
ive compared its accuracy with my barr&stroud and wild. the comparisons are close enough for me and usually within a few yards at a 1000 yd range im a member of.
so again, you guys debate the technical stuff. all i want is a unit that shows distance and shows up
for work every day. i can handle the rest.

i would like someone to respond to my earlier question about registration.
i am very serious about aquiring a new rangefinder. but the idea of registering it dosent sit well.
do the vectronix and or this unit require registration?

Last edited by yobuck; 01-17-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: corrections