Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

This season I have spent more then 2 weeks of time in stand and had the opportunity to range well over 100 animals. I went through a couple of batteries! Also was able to get comparison readings using Leica Geovids and Swarovski binos. Some observations:
The accuracy of the G7 compared to the other finders out as far as 1300 yards was many times within 1 yard, many times identical to the other finders.
The target animal, especially out past 1000 yards, the animal has to be exactly in the middle of the ranging square and a rest used. Poor or no readings were almost always caused by lack of steadiness. I was able to get readings on small whitetail does and antelope out to 1400 yards on flat, hilly, and brushy foreground and background terrain. Knowing how to use the near/far ranging capability makes a BIG difference with difficult targets. With practice you can determine range differences of the interferences and pinpoint your animal.When in doubt, get replicate readings. If they are the same or within a yard or two, it's usually a good reading. You will get erroneous readings with glare or ranging into a sunset.
The ballistic program matches my Shooter program and rifle set-up exactly.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Greyfox, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been ranging in the different modes, trying to learn how to best use this unit. When I have been able to get multiple readings within that yard or two, I have had good success. I'll keep working on it until I get it figured out. I am still not entirely satisfied my data for the 22-250 is accurate enough yet to be reliable. I need to do some more field shooting to verify my actual drops.
I was thinking about that Utah PD this morning, wishing I had tried a few shots with the 270 WSM I had with. I have done all the work with that rifle and the solutions I am getting from the G7 for it have been spot on. On that same trip last week I ranged a paper target at 842 yards, then placed a shot from the 270 1.5" above center of bull. I tried again and placed another 1st round cool barrel shot right on for horizontal and 1/2 MOA left of center.
The G7 has worked better than I really expected with the two rifles I have really tuned the input data for.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Greyfox, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been ranging in the different modes, trying to learn how to best use this unit. When I have been able to get multiple readings within that yard or two, I have had good success. I'll keep working on it until I get it figured out. I am still not entirely satisfied my data for the 22-250 is accurate enough yet to be reliable. I need to do some more field shooting to verify my actual drops.
I was thinking about that Utah PD this morning, wishing I had tried a few shots with the 270 WSM I had with. I have done all the work with that rifle and the solutions I am getting from the G7 for it have been spot on. On that same trip last week I ranged a paper target at 842 yards, then placed a shot from the 270 1.5" above center of bull. I tried again and placed another 1st round cool barrel shot right on for horizontal and 1/2 MOA left of center.
The G7 has worked better than I really expected with the two rifles I have really tuned the input data for.
My situation with the G7 was quite easy. I had already established my ballistic data/drops a couple of years ago using Ballitic FTE for my 6.5x284. Both the G7 and FTE use JBM software so the outputs were identicle. All I really did to confirm this was to take readings at actual ranges and compare the drops which were dead on. Also tested the angle and atomospheric outputs as well which were also the same for both devices. My final test was to use a 1000ft/50 degree temp yardage turret when I went to Wyoming. Using this turret with the G7, at 4700 feet/33 degrees at a 12 degree angle I used the adjusted yardage output of 1004 yards to hit a few inches right of a softball sized rock. I didnt correct for a spin drift of 6 inches. Even more impressive was when I had a group of does at 700 yards. There were two that were partially in line with each other. Using the near/ far modes I could distinguish the difference they were apart by 12 yards. Set up for the shot is so fast with this thing I actually feel like I'm cheating!

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I was able to test the unit a little more yesterday on a prairie dog on the flat high desert above Moab Utah. The only one I shot at was somewhere between 725 and 775 yards. I could not be sure. I ranged with the tiny target high in the aiming square, as well as low. I took multiple ranges, and it appeared to be 725, which called for +13.5 MOA. I fired and found I was a couple MOA low. After several shots I ended up at +16 MOA, which my data sheet says should be 775 yards.
I walked out to the mound he had been sitting on, and ranged back to my car. That range was an even 750 yards.
I am going to do more field testing of the rifle on targets before I test the rangefinder any further in that setting. I know from the other two rifles I have entered into the rangefinder that I had to do some very careful testing before I got it dialed in.
I am happy to say that, for those two rifles, it is dialed. I was ranging and shooting at marmots out to 1380 yards earlier this fall with my LR varmint rifle, and shooting my light weight elk rifle out at 842 yards yesterday. In both cases ranges and corrections were right on.
Once I am certain I have the rangefinder and rifle in sync, I'll try again.
Nearest mode is the ticket for ranging those prairie dogs and antelope on the flats. Most lasers are 905 nm wavelength, this is just outside the visible light spectrum, but not enough that our eyes can't be damaged. The eyesafe requirement actually limits the power output. Military lasers are generally 1550 nm, which is outside the visible spectrum, and you can pump as much power as you want. Big different in cost of the laser diode!

You can use the G7 Ballistic Calculator on our site or here at Lens site to calculate exactly the same calculation that the rangefinder will calculate (both use the G7 Ballistic Engine). If it doesn't match, use the Trajectory Validation feature to correct your muzzle velocity and use the corrected Ballistic Profile (BC and MV) in the BR2. The correction will match.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for your input Aaron. I tried the far mode, but did not try the near.
After careful field testing at both near and extended ranges, I used the validation feature with the two other rifles I have programed into the rangefinder. In both cases I get solutions that are accurate beyond my expectations.
I need to do more of that kind of testing with the 22-250 to be certain my input data is correct.
Once I am confident my data is right, I'll head back down and work with it again.
Sad part is the barrel is about toast in that rifle. I bought another thousand JLK 52 gr. Low Drag bullets for this winters' shooting, and expect to rebarrel next spring, when they are gone.
I guess I'll have reason to do a lot of shooting again to get data for a new barrel.
It's tough, but someone's gotta do it.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Ah HA!,
I did some more testing with the 22-250 over the weekend. I discovered my input data was flawed.
I shot groups at 100, 289, and 576 yards, then spent some time on the G7 web site changing things on the Ballistic Calculator until it all fit with the new data.
My velocity was off by 127 fps according to the Trajectory Validation feature. I wonder if the amount of throat erosion since I last collected field data could contribute to this.
The 52 gr. JLK low drag bullets are represented as having a BC of .309. In previous testing I concluded it was .244. On G7 I changed it to .242 and my field results matched precisely what the software predicted.

This barrel may be about shot out, but it is still shooting; .178 three shot at 100, and just a hair less than half MOA 5-shot groups at the longer ranges.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM

If i could get data like that with my 22-250 i'd post to the forum as well.
I'd say you have it together very well with a bit of erosion or a head wind?