Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Scott, Just an idea but maybe if you really want one in Mils so bad you could get all those Mil shooters that you mentioned together and do a group buy if GW would agree to build the unit. I would expect the cost to be a little more unless you get enough of an order together to equal and offset some of the extra production costs. But if there are that many guys that will hook up simply get an agreement with GW, get deposited to comfirm sales, and go for it. I am sure if you prove that the market is there they would be open to the sales.

Jeff
Not a bad idea. I still wonder though why they don't just market to the mil folks. Considering that it was really LE and military folks that got this LR thing started anyway, I know the overall MIL market is much larger than the MOA market for the overall LR game. And look at how other companies are scrambling trying to keep up with the ballistic rangefinders. Everyone is behind on this game and G7 is leading the charge in many ways. I just wish they would keep it up and not let one of these big companies come in and steal their thunder! I like G7 and think they are great for our sport and want to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havingfun View Post
Personally, I think there's more to this than a market share issue.

I think there are other issues that we're not privy to.
I agree with this as well.

Scot E.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdavidson View Post
The device uses a 905nm laser diode. The expensive models achieve better ranging performance because they use a 1550nm diode which is more expensive and is not limited on power output to remain eye safe.
Skip, Are you saying the others are non-eyesafe?

that would mean they are a class 3B or 4 laser which cannot be sold outside of the military. No one can possess non-eye safe laser rangefinders. All mftrs have to sign agreements with the FDA before they are allowed to mftr and sell them to the military.

I am assuming the BR2 is a class 1?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I can't speak for all of them but I know the Terrapin is class 1.

Scot E.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

Here is my question. Does the rangefinder read out in negative numbers?
For example, your rifle is sighted at 400 yards and you try to range a target at 300 yards. The correction in moa would have to be minus x number of moa.
Or does the rangefinder operate with a 100 yard zero and then any correction would be in positve numbers.
Any insight would be helpful

Jerry1
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cunningham View Post
Here is my question. Does the rangefinder read out in negative numbers?
For example, your rifle is sighted at 400 yards and you try to range a target at 300 yards. The correction in moa would have to be minus x number of moa.
Or does the rangefinder operate with a 100 yard zero and then any correction would be in positve numbers.
Any insight would be helpful

Jerry1
The unit can be programmed for the zero you choose and display the MOA adjustment for shorter distances in negative MOA values.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Greyfox!!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

I just came back from a week of Mule Deer and White Tail hunting in Alberta which was my second hunting trip which I was able to use my G7 BR 2. On this trip I did have numerous opportunities to test the units effectiveness ranging game at extended distances. The unit had no trouble ranging deer the size of whitetail does at 1300-1400 yards with repeated identicle readings. I had difficulty getting readings with my Leica Geovids and my buddy's Swarovski RF binoculars at these distances.The near/far ranging proved effective at selectively eliminating interfering brush, hills, and other animals in the foreground or background. By far, the best feature. Also, had no problem ranging cattle out to 2000 yards. One was ranged at 2015 yards. Now having taken five deer and antelope using the G7, I have developed a high level of confidence in the unit.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt