Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

So the front screen doesent go to the start like the regular screen does?
Mike
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
So the front screen doesent go to the start like the regular screen does?
Mike
Either can go either place, you just have to plug them into the right spot on the actual computer. START is the one that is closest two you, and there aren't any marks, so it's easy to get backwards. I put black electrical tape around one of the ends, and onto the end of the wire that comes from it.
I always put the end with the tape, closest to me and plug the plug with the tape, into the start plug. Otherwise, you mix them up and get no reading.

Hope that is all that was wrong with yours.
Robbin
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

I've used it about 5 times since I got the metal stand (for a table top) and the IR screens. It reads all of the time now.
Robbin
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbin View Post
It should work exactly the same, one thing I noticed was when I put the IR on, I set the machine up backwards, so the start and stop was backwards and of course it won't work if you do that. Other than that, it worked like a champ.

I put a piece of black electrical tape around one of the reciviers and its wire to remind me that it is the START reciver.

I bought the battery pack, and use the infared all the time now.

Robbin
Talked to the main guy from CED. I had a problem which seemed like slow readings and had a few questions. He was very courteous and helpful. He said that if you always use the Infrared that you should construct some kind of a "coffin" to shield out any ambient sunlight. Apparently, if you have both infrared and strong sunlight it is possible that the sun might compete with the infrared and it can give you false readings. This is what they do at the IPSC nationals according to him. He even offered to send me the diagram of the "coffin" but I think I will design my own...I am going out soon to test my speed against another CED, because ammo 9 mos. old was showing substantially slower...in three different rifles....This is a bit of a mystery! JS 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Good read, lot of good info. I've had the CED2 for a while and so far so good. I use the IR all the time, but don't have any shield. Might be the thing to do is run it w/o IR and the first ERR you get plug in the IR. I use the battery pack as there's no juice on the outdoor range I use. Another benefit to IR is indoor ranges, I intend to test it out in the coming months at an indoor range.

Why did I get the CED2? Simply way too much hassle dragging all your gear out, testing loads, etc, just to get a bunch of ERR readings, whether later in the evening or whatever. A PIA that has gone away, and I hope stays away! Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 AM

My two cents:
I was getting erratic reads from my M2, and the muzzle velocities didn't correlate with the bullet drop at 1000 yards--
I found out the M2 needs a very stable platform (tripod or whatever) and I had been using a light Silk camera tripod-- so I bought a VERY solid 7lb camera tripod and now the M2 works great.
My friend has an Ohler 35 and we set them up in line, -- shooting over both chronos with the same bullet. Result: the M2 was +/- 1fps compared to the Ohler.
the only difference was the Ohler was registering speeds that were very consistantly 31fps faster than my M2 for every shot. But since what I care the most about is ES-- this isn't a problem for me.

Hope this helps somebody.
Bob
Old 07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

I use a surveyor's tripod that cost $70.00 at Maynards. I had to make a custom 1/4 20 screw arrangement to fasten the m2 bar to. It works great and is hell on stout.