Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion


Reply

CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #64  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.W. Kansas
Posts: 14
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

Crap, I just looked at the Midway USA I posted earlier about the Ohler 35, it says discontinued by manufacturer. So are they making Ohlers again or still out of luck?

Sig
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,227
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy32 View Post
Crap, I just looked at the Midway USA I posted earlier about the Ohler 35, it says discontinued by manufacturer. So are they making Ohlers again or still out of luck?

Sig
Oehler was making them this year, as I and many others purchased one. But it was a complete setup with tripods and carrying case that cost ~$575 directly from Oehler. Google search Oehler and contact them directly. Let us know what they have to say?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mouth of Hobble Crk Canyon, Utah
Posts: 571
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
10-4. I'm still using an long-lived Oehler 33. I also purchased an Oehler 35P this summer too, so I run it also.


They refunded $75 for a ~$200 unit?
Phorwath,

If you're insterested I might have some M33 stuff laying around, that I don't need anymore. Might be like gold someday.

Yes, $74.82 is what I got. I should have received more but 1) the main unit arrived damaged and Mr. Hardy declined to offer me any money for it. At this time in the sequence of events I was tired of dealing with him and gladly accepted his refund offer instead of trying to lay blame or refuse blame for the broken main unit. Also, I somehow missed packing one sidearm ($4.00). I basically got nickel and dime'd on the refund.

And, I did order a Oehler 35P back in July. It was delivered about 3rd week of Oct. It has worked flawlessly in numerous weather conditions. Today was snow on the ground, 30 deg F with little hoar frost floating around, sun from my 12. Peak of perfection!
Alan

Last edited by Alan Griffith; 11-29-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: add stuff
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 197
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

wow, I did not realize that hardy was the CEO, his customer service was terrible, he was the first person that I spoke with when I had a faulty sensor, he tried to blame it on me first, and then had me do tests so we could turn it around quicker, and it was the sensor completely faulty, and then he told me I would have it for that weekend, and it never showed up then the following week he was "unavailable".

on the chronograph, bottom line seems to be that you need the infrared set for it to be at all useful.

I would love to just get an Oehler, but I do not need a chronograph much, I only own 3 calibers, and only really need the chrony for one of them so once I have my load dialed and then new lots of powder is the only time I use it.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mouth of Hobble Crk Canyon, Utah
Posts: 571
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless61 View Post
wow, I did not realize that hardy was the CEO, his customer service was terrible, he was the first person that I spoke with when I had a faulty sensor, he tried to blame it on me first, and then had me do tests so we could turn it around quicker, and it was the sensor completely faulty, and then he told me I would have it for that weekend, and it never showed up then the following week he was "unavailable".

on the chronograph, bottom line seems to be that you need the infrared set for it to be at all useful.

I would love to just get an Oehler, but I do not need a chronograph much, I only own 3 calibers, and only really need the chrony for one of them so once I have my load dialed and then new lots of powder is the only time I use it.
The CS person, I always talked to had an oriental accent/name. Maybe his wife? The signature on the check to me seemed oriental. And since he called me from Hong Kong, on a business trip, it makes me think the electronics are made "over there". Just a guess.

It seems to me that if you want more reliable service from the unit, I too think the infrared set would/could make that happen.

You only own 3 calibers? Well, think about this. A quality unit like an Oehler will last you decades. What are the chances you'll buy more guns/calibers over the next 2-3 decades and wish you had a solid unit like the 35P?

Alan
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 197
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
The CS person, I always talked to had an oriental accent/name. Maybe his wife? The signature on the check to me seemed oriental. And since he called me from Hong Kong, on a business trip, it makes me think the electronics are made "over there". Just a guess.

It seems to me that if you want more reliable service from the unit, I too think the infrared set would/could make that happen.

You only own 3 calibers? Well, think about this. A quality unit like an Oehler will last you decades. What are the chances you'll buy more guns/calibers over the next 2-3 decades and wish you had a solid unit like the 35P?

Alan

I wish I could just get the Oehler, but I have money into chronographs right now, and another $600 is just too much for me right now. that is the main trouble. I will say that I have been having better luck with the infrared screens. the velocity does seem to read low without the infrared screens.

mine seemed to read almost 100 fps low, and where it is reading with the infrared screens makes much more sense than without them.

also, when i first bought a ced m2 last year, it worked pretty well for me, but this year i started to have problems with it, now 3 units later, and it seems to be okay with the infrared screens but i will be testing more, and if it does not work out i will probably have to return it and order the oehler, I should probably do that anyway, but like i said just the additional $300 is bad for me right this second.


oh another thing I found interesting, I am on my third unit now, from Midway, the boxes are all in ok but not great shape, and all of the rails that have been in with the kits are used. they are not new, you can see where someone else used it and tightened the sensors down, everything is resealed and packaged, but the units seem to be used. one that i received had a physically broken sensor that was packaged, but was just broken, and was not broken in shipping.

Last edited by timeless61; 11-30-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 6
Re: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

I have a CED M2. Problem 1 - I live in the Seattle area(cloudy a lot) and was having trouble with errors. So I bought the infered set with battery pack. Still have a lot of error readings sunny or not. Problem 2 - Tried to chrono my bow. Usually got error reading and when I finally did get a reading it would be 5000+ fps. Now I can shoot a bow with the best of them but pretty sure my bow is no where near 5000 fps. Called CED and they sent me a couple articles on plans for builing a black box to house the units. Sure does away with the simplicity sales pitch doesn't it? Problem 3 - Was working up a load for my gun, increasing each 3 shot group by one grain. 5 different groups all reading aprox 3050 with no increase for the increasing powder charges. To sum it all up - Buy the Oehler 35P and live happily ever after. PS anyone want to buy a good CED M2?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barrel Compromise: Weight Vs. Practicality By Bryan Chatwell ADMIN Technical Articles - Discussion 14 05-13-2012 10:33 AM
Bryan Litz Or Any One That Knows jwp475 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 10 04-12-2011 07:18 AM
Making Your Semi-Custom Rifle Look Custom By Bryan Chatwell ADMIN Technical Articles - Discussion 4 06-29-2010 07:07 AM
Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph Eaglet General Discussion 10 03-31-2010 11:28 PM
Bryan from MD bk410 Member Introductions 1 04-13-2009 12:15 PM

Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.54%
842 Votes
No - 52.46%
929 Votes
Total Votes: 1,771
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC