Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Caldwell DeadShot FieldPod Review

I am glad you had success with your field pod. This right her alone would make me not buy one if I seen it before I bought one. You invested alot of time in something that is supposed to be proven.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

Respectfully Guys, I have to disagree. I have been using two of these for a year now. My Son and I used them in Utah last summer to take over 100 Prairie dogs at ranges out to 400 yds. This Fall I carried it coyote calling and have taken 16 so far this season using it. I use it with one of those Turkey hunting chairs and it works great. I have used everything from 12 lb varmint rifles with 26" barrels, to 6 lb CZ Americans. They are completely adjustable for any size rifle and are very steady IMO. Heck, last weekend I took a Yote with my M1A and this rest. Before this, I was using cross sticks for Yotes which i thought worked good. This is much better...
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

That was a pretty pathetic article. Reads like a script. Someone needs to do a real review.

Paul

Len Backus
Publisher
LRH
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM

As always when advertising, there is an element of bs with the ad. I bought one along with my partner two years ago. We are old men in our 70's that enjoy shooting sage rats and rockchucks. We shoot rats are varying distances, but try to shoot chucks at 200+ yards to keep it interesting.

First off, it is not as good as a bench rest and should not be advertised as such. One of the things I like about the setup, is being able to balance the gun in the fieldpod whether it is a heavy barrel or sporter.

Another great thing for us, is we can carry the FieldPod into areas where we would not have a rest available to make 200-400 yards shots. It is not rock solid, but much better than anything else we have tried.

MY pal has shot sage rats at 300 yards with the rest, and I have shot chucks(4) at 375 yards.

I will say, it will appeal to varmint hunters that have to move and are taking shots out past 200 yards. We practiced using ours so when we went to the field, we were prepared.

I think it is an excellent tool, which may not fit each style of shooters, but certainly makes the equation on my side when shooting chucks.

Lenard
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like the adjustments are jerky i.e. not high quality and the unit does not address the weakness of all the iterations of this type of shooting tripods...THEY DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR THE STRONG SIDE ELBOW. For shooting over brush [i.e. where you can not shoot sitting with a long bipod mounted to the forearm ] my wife and I use quality tripod African style shooting sticks in a technique where the the non-shooter positions themselves bent over with hands resting above their knees to stabilize themselves for the shooter to rest their strong side elbow on your back. This technique seems to extend the normal 225-275 yard effective range to approx 400 yards. A lot of practice with .22LR will improve your technique towards these limits. Rocks [ with good back stops ] that give off a powder puff when hit are fun with the 22s. Using this technique with this piece of equipment would probably extend its effective range 30-50%. The shooter that took his apart and re-engineered it has the right idea.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM

duplicate post
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPR View Post
That was a pretty pathetic article. Reads like a script. Someone needs to do a real review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPR View Post

Paul
Hello Paul, I was reading this post and decided rather than simply leaving my own comment, I would respond to your request for a real review.

First of all, I am new to shooting & hunting. This year will be my first hunting experience (55 yrs old & Perm. Disabled) and I haven't used the FieldPod for that purpose YET.
What I can say is, being Perm. Disabled this product has allowed me much better control in aiming & taking a shot than trying to hold the rifle.
My upper body is weakened and I noticed that I have the tendency to shake or weave back & forth while trying to make sure of aiming precisely.
I have a set of bench bags for the range but, as we know those are not practicable for out in the field while hunting.
I purchased this product because it allows me to take it out in to the field when I go hunting.
It has given me more confidence and control than I would have otherwise.

It may not be something of a concern for a healthy person, especially an experienced shooter/hunter to consider as an improvement but, in my particular circumstance it has proven to be a great asset.

I have found the construction of the product to be very good and sturdy.
It sets up in mere minutes and allows me to have the rifle at the ready, if and when I am afforded a shot. Otherwise I might be left fumbling around, shaky hands and be unsure whether or not to take a humane shot.
I am hopeful this product will afford me a much better opportunity to take a shot with confidence when the time comes. While each location will be different, I have been practicing by sitting on a 5 gallon buck with a seat insert and the FieldPod is at the right height so it is comfortable for me to reach over and aim with precision, without the shaking or weaving of my arms. I have a Weatherby Vanguard .270 WIN which is a bit heavy to hold for a lengthy period.
With this product, that is eliminated for me.

So again, while it may not be a perfect hunting tool for the able-bodied, healthy hunter.
For someone such as myself, it is a great tool.

I hope this review is something which helps you in understanding it's utility.