Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

Midway and I think Graf's has the STI nedia.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM

Uh oh.. It's me that has the dehydrator...

She doesn't like anything to do with me and my deer meat... I just got into reloading so I'm trying to come up to speed as fast as possible without getting stupid about it.

I really liked the idea of the stainless and one of my customers has been loading since the 70's and he swears by it so I already bought them and have used them for about 400 shells. I did notice water when I didn't de-prime them first. I thought they were dry and then when I decided to take the primers out ahead of time it seems they wicked up the moisture. My press got a bit wet. Primers are coming out ahead of time from now on...

Thanks for the answer...

G..
Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

+10 on the Harbor Freight Chicom tumbler or get an RCBS Sidewinder or get industrious and make your own from a 5 gallon plastic pail with a gasketed snap on lid.

I have a 3 point cement mixer out in the barn that would make a dandy bulk tumbler. I could do a couple thousand cases at a time......
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
170 or less won't normalize the hardened brass case base. You need in excess of 300 degrees for a protracted amount of time. You are fine.

If you wife has a dehydrator, use that.
Agree!!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Bronze Member

a gallon of crushed corn cob media and half a bottle of Brasso and my brass comes out shining like a diamond in a goat's ass inside and out. No drying, straight back to the loading bench.

b
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
a gallon of crushed corn cob media and half a bottle of Brasso and my brass comes out shining like a diamond in a goat's ass inside and out. No drying, straight back to the loading bench.

b
I hate to bust your bubble but they aren't clean inside, especially down at the base of the cartridge and the backside of the primer pocket.. No dry media can provide the agitation/cleaning down there, it's impossible to effectuate with a dry cleaning like cob or walnut shell parts, no matter how long you have them rolling around in there.....

The only way you can get agitation action down there is a wet clean. I don't use STM, but I do use water, Lemishine and cheap washing detergent, in my case, whatever the wife has under the sink..... I use stainless but not STM.

They might appear clean at the case mouths and part way down the walls but they arn't clean at the bottom.

Far as a goats butt, I have no idea if it shines..... Neither do you.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I hate to bust your bubble but they aren't clean inside, especially down at the base of the cartridge and the backside of the primer pocket.. No dry media can provide the agitation/cleaning down there, it's impossible to effectuate with a dry cleaning like cob or walnut shell parts, no matter how long you have them rolling around in there.....

The only way you can get agitation action down there is a wet clean. I don't use STM, but I do use water, Lemishine and cheap washing detergent, in my case, whatever the wife has under the sink..... I use stainless but not STM.

They might appear clean at the case mouths and part way down the walls but they arn't clean at the bottom.

Far as a goats butt, I have no idea if it shines..... Neither do you.
Agree on the wet vs dry, and I cannot speak about the shine of a goats butt.