Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Re: Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

I bought 5 lbs. of stainless pins and began experimenting with my Lortone Model QT66 tumbler, using 2 - 6lb. capacity drums and a squirt of Dawn dish soap in the water. The rifle cartridges come out shiney and clean, inside and out, likewise the pistol brass with no media stuck in the primer pockets. Experimenting with times from 1.5-3 hours and can't see much difference other than primer pockets get cleaner with longer cycles. Next batch will get a dose of LemiShine. After rinsing, I dump the brass and pins in my Dillon media separator and give it a few cranks to drop the pins out. Then the brass gets dumped on a dry towel and blotted with another dry towel. Finally, The brass goes on a plastic "thing" I found at GoodWill. It is green, about 9" x 9" square with plastic "blades of grass" about 2.25" high. I'll post a pix as soon as I figure it out. I use a hairdryer if in a hurry or place it on top of the gas range and let the pilot finish drying it. Doubt I will ever go back to dry media.
Leadlober
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks for a great article/review. It's well worth looking into as the results look fantastic!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Bronze Member

i have ultrasonic (if you want to try one, just go to Amazon. much better selection and prices. you can get an extra large heated ultrasonic cleaner for $75.), vibratory, and a tumbler with SS pins (i bought the kit from MTM).

it's not even close. the SS and tumbler is so much better than either of the other two it's not funny. yes, it's still aggravating, but at least the brass is clean when you get done.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM

If you have a sonic cleaner ,run the brass in it first for about one hour .Then put your brass in the tumbler with the SS pins and they will only need one hour max of tumbling to be better than new looking .Arnie
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Iave been doing it for awhile

I have found the best for me ......add 2tbls dawn 1/4teaspoon lemi , 3QTS warm water 50-100 rds brass (2 lbs) tumble for 2.5 hrs (3 max for super dirty) I use a timer ..... pockets are clean , rinse with hot water.

also watch if u mix brass as they can stick together .... like 45acp will fit over 270

watch for the mouth edges getting pinned /roughed up if u have expensive or match grade brass in it ......gone when u trim if needed.. seems to be worse with small batchs
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Official LRH Spponsor

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Slow learner,tried dry and sonic cleaning with so-so results.
Got new Stainless steel pin cleaner and the results were unbelievable , better that new,primer pockets are super clean. I feel bad it took me so long to step up to new cleaner.

Charlie.