Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

Quote:
This article shows how to clean brass inside and out using small stainless steel pins from STM, Stainless Tumbling Media. This does not harm the cartridge brass and the results are excellent. A water-tight, rotary tumbler is required along with the stainless media.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review, By Jason Koplin. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review

What about 'work hardening' the brass, does the stainless steel work harden it?

Four hours is a long time, I generally only tumble in the standard vibratory tumbler for 1.5 hours using treated corn cob (Hornady case polish treatment). Granted it usually only cleans the exterior nice and shiny.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Brass Cleaning Using Stainless Tumbling Media System-Review, By Jason Koplin. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

I like everything about the sounds of this system except the drying part.

How can you be sure that a drop of water is not hiding inside a case somewhere waiting to ruin a primer?

Perhaps some sort of drying rack with a heated base could be fabricated that would get the brass up to 80 or 90 degrees and ensure complete drying?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 PM

I first read about using stainless media for cleaning brass about 1990. I used it for several years and it did a great job of cleaning and polishing the brass. Drying the cleaned brass was no problem...I just laid it out on pie plates in the sun to dry. It didn't take long to dry, an hour or two.

After doing this for several months I began to notice some things that caused me some concern...split necks. I began to experience some cracks in necks of 30-06 and 45-70 brass. So I tried annealing the necks to stop this problem. It helped, but didn't end the cracks.

I think that the stainless media tends to work stress the brass and perhaps thin it a bit. I would only use it for an hour or two now, and only if the brass were really cruddy. I think that it does shorten case life.

Bob llB50
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 11B50 View Post
I first read about using stainless media for cleaning brass about 1990. I used it for several years and it did a great job of cleaning and polishing the brass. Drying the cleaned brass was no problem...I just laid it out on pie plates in the sun to dry. It didn't take long to dry, an hour or two.

After doing this for several months I began to notice some things that caused me some concern...split necks. I began to experience some cracks in necks of 30-06 and 45-70 brass. So I tried annealing the necks to stop this problem. It helped, but didn't end the cracks.

I think that the stainless media tends to work stress the brass and perhaps thin it a bit. I would only use it for an hour or two now, and only if the brass were really cruddy. I think that it does shorten case life.

Bob llB50
Interesting, that is the first case I have heard of work hardening from this process. I always thought it was accepted wisdom that to some small degree a conventional tumbler could work harden brass-again, slightly-. If that is the case then steel media would have to do the same or worse.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
I saw the same set up at H&H in Okla City but they were using brass instead of stainless as the media and the brass coming out of it looked beter than new.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Plain and simple IT Works. I tried it and will continue to do so.