Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Book Review - Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting By Gustavo F. Ruiz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Book Review - Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting By Gustavo F. Ruiz

The camel will recover and I know you, and I know that you will really enjoy the book. I'm on my third time through it and it's better each time.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
The camel will recover and I know you, and I know that you will really enjoy the book. I'm on my third time through it and it's better each time.
Thanks friend, I know I will enjoy it too!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

I'd made this observation on another thread (New Book: "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting") but will repeat it here: It seems that G7 is a better model for VLD/boat-tail bullets because there is less variation in BC at different velocities. However, after using both G1 and G7 BCs into two different ballistic programs (JBM and Ballistic on my iPod Touch), I see about 2-3" variation at 1000 yards for my typical .308 Win load. So maybe it doesn't matter so much. What really has mattered for me has been Litz' more accurate BCs. For example, the Nosler 165gr. 30-cal. Accubond was tested by him @ a G7 BC of .228 (G1 BC of .454) where Nosler publishes a G1 BC of .475 (G7 BC .238). That's a difference of 10" @ 1000 yards.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

If you are interested in knowing what is really going on in long range shooting then you must buy this book. I have been in the firearms business for over 30 years until I retired. This is by far the clearest discussion on this subject. This is written for the average person without a strong math background and the author has done a awesome job of dealing with complex subjects. I have read and studied most of the major works on the subject of external ballistics and the math is far beyond what most of us deal with on a day to day basis. This book has the math in the back of the book if you want to use it. However the book is extremely understandable to the average reader. The authors work on G7 behavior on modern bullets is a major step forward in our sport. Buy the book!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Bronze Member

This is the best book on the planet for ballistics. I wished I had read it years ago. It would have safed alot of wasted rounds shot. If you are going to shoot way out there( past 1000,out to 2000 and more) you have to know just what is going on. This book will tell you the whys and hows. Its the shooters Bible. You might be able to shoot out to 1000 yards without a good understanding, but past that its very hard. You can have as much as 8 feet of spin drift at 2000. If you do not know what I'm talking about, get the book.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

Just bought the book and finished it in two days, great book, lots of good information and very understandable. I do have one question though, maybe I just don't get the math of it or didn't notice it in the book, but how can I "convert" and G1 b.c. for a bullet that I am using to a G7 B.c. so I can use it in the ballistics program that came with the book. Thanks. Great book.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

After reading the last reply I realized the book that I was talking about was written by Bryan Litz.

Quote:
Publisher's Note:

You can find it right here at the LRH Gear Shop.

Last edited by Len Backus; 01-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.