Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The thread is closed

Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

i would love to see you shoot a 3 inch group at 700 yards off your backpack with a barnes bullet. let me know what state you are in and i will make the drive. barnes do not shoot, i am also a 300 rum shooter, and have never seen those bullets fly under .5moa in any 300 rum. try the 210 grain berger with 92.2 grains of retumbo. they will outshoot your barnes all day long, and into the night.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

My local gunsmith is over 80 years old and has seen about everything. He says that Barnes bullets are very accurate, and loads them in 7mm for the local sheriff. He loaded me some 7mm 162 A-Max for my 7x57. This is a hot deer bullet in New Zealand these days, where shots are often very long. Last weekend, I shot a mule deer buck, that was just shy of Montana trophy class, in his swollen neck at 200 lasered yards. I blew through his spine just in front of his shoulder, severing the spine. I later found the bullet just behind his head on the opposite side of the spine. I cleaned the bullet and weighed it, for 38% weight retention. Not bad for a "soft " target bullet that blew a 250# mule deer spine in half at 200 yards. I showed the bullet to a customer at the gunsmith shop a couple of days later, and he said it did a lot better than what he was experiencing with Bergers. He had numerous failures with Bergers on elk, from 160 yards to 475 yards. They were falling apart without much penetration, for the most part. His 6.5x55 Swede isn't exactly a bullet ripping magnum. He will not be using Bergers anymore on big game.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL Shot View Post
My local gunsmith is over 80 years old and has seen about everything. He says that Barnes bullets are very accurate, and loads them in 7mm for the local sheriff. He loaded me some 7mm 162 A-Max for my 7x57. This is a hot deer bullet in New Zealand these days, where shots are often very long. Last weekend, I shot a mule deer buck, that was just shy of Montana trophy class, in his swollen neck at 200 lasered yards. I blew through his spine just in front of his shoulder, severing the spine. I later found the bullet just behind his head on the opposite side of the spine. I cleaned the bullet and weighed it, for 38% weight retention. Not bad for a "soft " target bullet that blew a 250# mule deer spine in half at 200 yards. I showed the bullet to a customer at the gunsmith shop a couple of days later, and he said it did a lot better than what he was experiencing with Bergers. He had numerous failures with Bergers on elk, from 160 yards to 475 yards. They were falling apart without much penetration, for the most part. His 6.5x55 Swede isn't exactly a bullet ripping magnum. He will not be using Bergers anymore on big game.
Define "failure", were the bullets found in dead elk? I have yet to make a Berger fail to kill an animal very fast, even when trying to get them to blow up I haven't been able to. Most "failures" are a failure of the shooter to understand how the bullet works and expecting high weight retention or shooter shooting an animal poorly and expecting them to drop since they are shooting a certain brand of bullet.

I would love to see someone try to seriously shoot a long range accuracy competition of some sort with Barnes, has anyone seen a Barnes shot in an accuracy competition?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Define "failure", were the bullets found in dead elk? I have yet to make a Berger fail to kill an animal very fast, even when trying to get them to blow up I haven't been able to. Most "failures" are a failure of the shooter to understand how the bullet works and expecting high weight retention or shooter shooting an animal poorly and expecting them to drop since they are shooting a certain brand of bullet.
No truer words have been spoken on this forum for quite a while now.

My experience mirrors B&G's and I have been involved with the taking of 6 Bulls this year already. The only one I had to track for exactly 4.7 miles ( my gps was tracking me) was not shot with a Berger. It was definatly a poor bullet placement but I truely feel a Berger would have ended this bulls suffering sooner than we did with a finishing shot in his final bed.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

3" at 700, not a problem my stock rem 700 300wsm with my new nightforce is doing that, I sure believe him if it is a custom rifle.

this is all getting crazy, use a BST or SST if you want quick kill on thin skin, elk, bear use something that penetrates, on big stuff use something bigger, there is no magic bullet Iam finding out, put it in the boiler room and they die, how quick has too many factors to compare.
Iam pleased with my barnes TTSX 80 gr, 130 gr, 165 gr, and 180 gr perfomances so far out of 257 weatherby, 270, 300wsm, always penetrates and kills.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Gold Member

but my new mcwhorter rifle is zeroed with handloaded 185gr bergers in 300wsm so will try them next fall and see what happens
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Dalebow;570208]3" at 700, not a problem my stock rem 700 300wsm with my new nightforce is doing that, I sure believe him if it is a custom rifle.

QUOTE]

Yes, the 3" at 700 yard groups are out of a custom rifle...HS Precision with stainless free floating fluted barrel using a Leupold Mark AR scope with target turrets......just adjust for yardage, place crosshairs on target and squeeze.
The thread is closed