Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The thread is closed

Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

If you shoot enough bullet at enough game you'll likely have something go wrong some day, if you don't recover the animal a guy just don't know 100% what went wrong. I've nearly lost a couple elk shooting Barnes, the bullets failing to penetrate into the chest sucked but I figure it was partially my fault for putting them on the shoulder bone and giving them a chance to deflect, had I held 6in back I would still be shooting them by the truck load and never started shooting Bergers.
I'm glad I had a little hiccup and discovered one of the best hunting bullets I've put on elk, Bergers!!!! Also nice to have very consistent sub MOA groups a long ways out there and not having to do any copper mining
I do still like the Barnes for certain applications just not for long range hunting, actually starting a build wrapped around a Barnes, do like the looks of the Cutting Edge bullets for an all copper but they are also made to open dramatically according to the literature, they may be nice.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 10-05-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

I have yet to even trail any game I have shot with berger bullets. I have used 6.5 , 7 mm and 30 caliber on game and simply went and picked them up. The next time I need 32 inches of bullet penetration on a game animal will be the first time. Keep up the good work at Berger. Thanks ,Scott
Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

One thing for sure, both camps (Barnes and Burger) are passionate about thier bullets. I think that's because both bullets have thier positive merrits. I have had really good results with Barnes bullets and in at least one situation when I shot from a swaying tree on a windy day at a doe at less than a hundred yards I'm kinda glad they can penetrate many inches. I was trying to catch the doe in a quarterning away shot behind the last rib but hit her in her rump. She didn't take a step, just quivvered and fell straight down when hit. The 85 Gn, 243 TSX bullet had gone throuh the rear ham breaking her hip, penetrating her entire length and ending up against the hide just below her neck. Most of her vital organs were mush but not that much meat damage.

It is almost gun season here and I'm anxious to try the Bergers I've loaded. I'm impressed at the consistant weight of each bullet in a box of Burger VLD's and they cost less per bullet than a box of Barnes. However the Burgers seem more finicky to load than the Barns in the guns I shoot but I feel like when I get the load right they should have the potential of being extreamly accurate.
Guess I'll find out before long either way.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Bergers may be very accurate and flat shooting but I just cannot see how they are a good big-game bullet. Ask any African PH and see what they have to say. Whatever your feelings about them, they see 100s of animals being shot each year and have vast experience with all sorts of bullets used by clients. Their favorites tend to be the Swift A frames, nosler partions and even the barnes - all tougher bullets than the Bergers. I dont like barnes bullets but cant embrace burger either. The Accubond would be my choice for long range shooting.....
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
SPONSOR

Arjun,

Try them once and then tell me what you think about them.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazreddy View Post
Ask any African PH and see what they have to say. Whatever your feelings about them, they see 100s of animals being shot each year and have vast experience with all sorts of bullets used by clients. Their favorites tend to be the Swift A frames, nosler partions and even the barnes - all tougher bullets than the Bergers. ...
I think it's essential to recognize that the African PHs are normally referring to their preference in bullets for harvesting animals that kill clients and PHs if not taken out reliably and efficiently. If you were to ask a PH which bullets they prefer exclusively for these dangerous animals, and then asked them what they preferred for the non-dangerous 50-70 lb antelopes, you could expect to receive very different answers. There's nothing wrong with the more explosive bullets for the game that aren't armored in AR-500 and don't kill the human hunter. Explosive bullets that reach, and explode, amidst the vitals will generally kill game animals more quickly (time-wise) than the controlled expansion bullets that hold together in largely one piece, and plow through the game animal while retaining close to 100% weight retention. If this concept makes no sense, then take it to whatever extreme is necessary to make sense. Harvesting adult African buffalo versus harvesting 80 lb deer in the Florida keys.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Great insight Phorwath, I have been on a half dozen African Safaris and these gentlemen have a much different environment to hunt in. The typical safari client is NOT a great shot as he has spent most of his life experience making money not getting deep into shooting much less LRH, thus most PHs don't want a shot over 150 yards plus there are so many animals they can just keep making stalks or driving the hunting car until they get a nice close shot. And the bottom line is that in Africa if you miss and there is even the hint of a hit = you pay the thousand$ of dollars in trophy fee and get no animal.