Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The thread is closed

Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

Spencer SS,

That's a very impressive hole for a 222 bullet.

I have a Barne's success story also: Last year I had bought a 243 win for my grandson and gave it try on a med sized doe. The Doe was in some brush quartering away but I though I could still hit it' chest though I was in a swaying tree. Well, I missed it's chest and instead hit it in the rear hip. It stood there for a fraction of a second after the shot then fell straight down and stayed down. The Barnes 80gn TTSX bullet had gone through the hip bone, through the length of the deer made jello out of the liver and one lung then through a rib and and stopped against the skin. I weigted the bullet afterwards and it had gained a couple tenth's of a grain. So I'm a fan of Barnes as well. The Barne's all copper bullets may not match the BC of some other bullets but maybe the Barnes MRX bullets Do? I'm not sure that BC is a big factor anyway under 300yrds especially with a bullet that makes a big hole and penetrates completely.

Terry

Last edited by Roughwater; 05-18-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: to add picture
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

I don't know the answer guys. I do know that any bullet will be the wrong choice if not selected for the right reasons. For me its not a bullet failure its a me failure. Some areas have a useful blood trail potential, I don't very often get to see one, rain drenched everything and rain by the bucket quickly eliminates all traces. definately don't want a bullet that turns my dinner into a pizza sized bowl of jello either. The results of the bullet are the results of my choice every time. I think most will agree, different bullets for different reasons.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Wonderful SRH bullet performance gentlemen BUT remember this is LRH and our Xs behave different at impact velocities < 1500fps. I just learned more than the price of the book from Chapters; #15 Lethality of LRH Bullets, #16 Hit Probability for Hunting and #18 Monolithic Bullets in Bryan Litz's new Volume 2 of Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting. Its the ole apples and oranges analogy.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRaTxn View Post
Wonderful SRH bullet performance gentlemen BUT remember this is LRH and our Xs behave different at impact velocities < 1500fps. I just learned more than the price of the book from Chapters; #15 Lethality of LRH Bullets, #16 Hit Probability for Hunting and #18 Monolithic Bullets in Bryan Litz's new Volume 2 of Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting. Its the ole apples and oranges analogy.

Absolutely. I run the TSXs and TTSXs as far as I can; ex: 284win 140TTSX=600 maybe 700 yds. After that, Berger's got the market pretty well in hand. I look forward to seeing how far I can push the 140VLD in a 6.5WSM. Computer says I might get out to 1200yds with enough speed left to tear some flesh. Accuracy and my shooting ability will probably limit this number.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM
SPONSOR

For the benefit of some who are reading this information for the first time it is important to explain some points.

From the very beginning we communicated that the way a Berger Hunting VLD works is an alternative to the way deep penetration, high weight retention bullets work. Those who believe they want their hunting bullet to perform differently have an alternative option.

Barnes clearly does solid bullets better and in far greater numbers than any bullet company on the planet. They are the experts in this area. I strongly believe that enough hunters enjoy the Barnes bullets that they will forever (in one form or another) exist in the market.

It has never been our intention to communicate that another bullet should not be used, period. In fact I know of several times that I've publicly encouraged shooters to use other brands for various reasons.

This thread exists because of how Barnes tried to make a point about their bullets. During this effort they made claims that ranged from partially incorrect to dangerously wrong. My rebuttal article was written as a response to the specific claims made and not for the purpose of telling hunters "don't shoot Barnes".

I don't want shooters to decide which bullets to shoot simply based on this debate. I want all shooters to know the truth. Those who use the truth to make the best choices for them will have the best experience no matter which products they use.

Barnes serves a specific group that wants the performance of a solid bullet. This will never change. On the other end of the terminal performance spectrum (in terms of how the bullet is lethal) is the Berger Hunting VLD. There are hunters who enjoy how the Berger Hunting VLDs works. This will also never change. However, as these groups continue to debate (which will also never change), at the very least we can speak correctly and honestly.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets

Last edited by Eric Stecker; 05-19-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
For the benefit of some who are reading this information for the first time it is important to explain some points.

Regards,
Eric
Perfect update to your Thread Eric!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

That Photo of the Whitetail with the gapping hole..............was just plain nasty. So I would guess that a 85gr TSX out of a .243 AI at about 3500 would be enough for Antelope or Mule Deer............................I mention this because I have had Two experianced Hunters tell me that the .243 is NOT an Antelope or a Deer cartridge.................And that is the bullet I intend on using this fall out of my .243 AI...............
The thread is closed