Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The thread is closed

Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

Does bullet pointing (like Whidden) or meplat trimming change the penetration/expansion characteristics of the Berger hunting bullets? Is it worth it in terms of BC consistency and improvement?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

I can attest that pointing does help the BC and uniformity.
I don't know if it affects terminal performance. Until the tests are done, I wouldn't recommend pointing bullets intended for hunting. It may prevent the bullets from expanding as well.
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
... Until the tests are done, I wouldn't recommend pointing bullets intended for hunting. It may prevent the bullets from expanding as well.
-Bryan
That's what I was afraid of. I'll hold off.

So, when are the tests planned?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 AM

I'm not going to get in a fight with the Berger fanboys out there, but the one thing that is detrimentally true about Berger is that their BC's are inflated. Given that, they perform well. Shoot many of the "cheap" A-max's against Bergers and they will fly better, but perform worse. No one can say BC is everything like some of you have.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

If Berger's BCs are inflated, why are they the same as the ones in Bryan Litz' book? I'm virtually certain he tested these (along with numerous other manufacturers' bullets) BEFORE he went to work there. I have yet to shoot Bergers so I'm not making any claims on their part. I just am skeptical of what appears to be an unfounded assertion that doesn't jibe with other evidence. I've certainly found that the BCs provided by Litz for bullets I do use - such as the Nosler .30 cal 165 gr. Accubond - have been highly accurate. Once I entered those into JBM and Ballistic, my results at the range and while hunting have been much closer to their predictions. So 1) I have confidence in his testing method, which he explained thoroughly in Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting, and 2) the published BCs for Bergers are the same as those in the book. Stands to reason they are accurate BCs.

You are certainly right that BC is not everything. Two reasons I have chosen to continue with the Accubonds is that the rifle I've been using has a long throat (and, yes, I know there's a method to test Bergers at different seating depths) and while I appreciate their lethality, I don't want a bullet that ruins any meat. (Correct me if I'm wrong about Bergers in that regard). Based on my experience, Accubonds placed in the right place are lethal but do little damage to meat.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarhyde View Post
I'm not going to get in a fight with the Berger fanboys out there, but the one thing that is detrimentally true about Berger is that their BC's are inflated. Given that, they perform well. Shoot many of the "cheap" A-max's against Bergers and they will fly better, but perform worse. No one can say BC is everything like some of you have.
Dude...

First off, you dont have a clue what you're talking about. The Berger BC's are not inflated. The members of this forum no how to measure drops and verify BCs. So when you come in here spouting your garbage, dont expect it to go anywhere.

Second, this is the LONG RANGE HUNTING FORUMS. BC is everything in Long Range.

Maybe you would like to start over????
Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 AM

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...60o2mOspa1yUWA

If that link does not work, google ballistic coefficient phd and its usually the second link down.

Now the question is: Who's studies are more accurate? A Doctor in the Philosophy of... or a shooting community?

Don't retaliate so strongly. I'm just being rather concise and you interpret it as rash. I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot Bergers, but you have to understand there is a lot of "viral" and community "marketing" going on here at LRH.com

Now if you want to gripe at me, gripe at me for asking whether you think GS or Bergers are "better".
The thread is closed