Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

The thread is closed

Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

Eric,
Thank you for your reply, I'll do as you suggested

Robert K
Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes's Tests Prove Why Berger Hunting VLDs Are So Successful By Eric Stecker

I too have been in a situation like phorwath, a few years back I was hunting bear from a treestand over bait and shot a good sized bear at about thirtyfive yards with a 160 gr remington factory ammo out of a 308. Upon recovery of the bear we found that that bullet had come apart going through the bears ribs ( broad side shot one inch behind the shoulder blade) and had completely come apart and did not penetrate the skin on the far side. The bullet never reached his heart where it was headed and instead looked like bird shot had hit his lungs. I was very glad to be in that tree stand rather than on the ground , face to face with him. Since that time I have only used bullets that I am confident will stay together well at any distance. Thats my preferance and with that in mind I have been working up loads with the Barnes TSX for an upcoming moose hunt in BC. With the help of some of the guy's here I have achieved a grouping of just over 1/4 inch at one hundred yards. TSX's appear to be very accurate and I have confidence in their ability to give deep penetration on large came at high velocities both near and far.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

I believe a deep penetration bullet has its advantages. In thick cover, where shots are sometimes iffy, or where the animals of a larger size. I had a situation with a cow moose, where I needed something that would get the job done.... but the only ammo I had was Hornady's SST. After two hours of searching in a swamp, in middle of Canada's November, I promissed myself I will always carry some ammo for situations like theese. I think Berger or A-Max are the way to go for long range. I load some tough bullets for up-close, and all I care is to match the trajectory for up to 150yds.
Do you think a berger (30 cal, 168gr) would have penetrated better in a qarter-towards shot that the SST I was using?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

well, here's one for ya.

Young and up and coming LRHr.

The all around gun for all 48 state animals per O'Connor

130 Sierra boat tail at 3100 FPS.

Many mule deer to its credit.

Decent size'd bull moose (4 hanging quarters weighed 400 pounds at the butcher)

Distance: 60 yds

Tho't process: Shoulder shot is out as this bullet is going to blow up. Better go for a heart shot.

Bang, see bullet entrance , dust, spot on. See dirt fly on the hill on the other side. (Complete penetration)

Said moose just stands there acting as if it just experienced a clear miss.

Shooter is so amazed that mind goes blank and never thinks about more shots. Actual thoughts, tend towards roping the damn thing and tying it to an aspen.

Said moose then leisurely strolls up the hill. Still amazed dumb hunter doesn't shoot.

Moose presents rear shot. Duh! That ain't gonna work.

Moose sways, falters and rolls back to where it was initially hit.

Dumb hunter has loop built and reins in pocket. Ready to rope and wrap around a quakie. Being confident that Mary Jane Elizabeth, the horse, would do her part.

Moose gets up, dumb hunter thinks, to use the horse and rope we're gonna have to take the front wheels away from the beast. 130 gr sierra or not!

Hunter goes for the shoulder joint, bang!. See bullet hit. See dust on hill on other side. Again complete penetration. This time through both shoulder blades, right next to the joint. Moose is DRT.......again!

Go figure....... a 2-bit sierra 130 boat tail, at that velocity, would have provided that level of performance at that close distance????

Last edited by royinidaho; 07-20-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe it was a Midget Moose?

Like the opposite of Mighty Mouse...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
well, here's one for ya.

Young and up and coming LRHr.

The all around gun for all 48 state animals per O'Connor

130 Sierra boat tail at 3100 FPS.

Many mule deer to its credit.

Decent size'd bull moose (4 hanging quarters weighed 400 pounds at the butcher)

Distance: 60 yds

Tho't process: Shoulder shot is out as this bullet is going to blow up. Better go for a heart shot.

Bang, see bullet entrance , dust, spot on. See dirt fly on the hill on the other side. (Complete penetration)

Said moose just stands there acting as if it just experienced a clear miss.

Shooter is so amazed that mind goes blank and never thinks about more shots. Actual thoughts, tend towards roping the damn thing and tying it to an aspen.

Said moose then leisurely strolls up the hill. Still amazed dumb hunter doesn't shoot.

Moose presents rear shot. Duh! That ain't gonna work.

Moose sways, falters and rolls back to where it was initially hit.

Dumb hunter has loop built and reins in pocket. Ready to rope and wrap around a quakie. Being confident that Mary Jane Elizabeth, the horse, would do her part.

Moose gets up, dumb hunter thinks, to use the horse and rope we're gonna have to take the front wheels away from the beast. 130 gr sierra or not!

Hunter goes for the shoulder joint, bang!. See bullet hit. See dust on hill on other side. Again complete penetration. This time through both shoulder blades, right next to the joint. Moose is DRT.......again!

Go figure....... a 2-bit sierra 130 boat tail, at that velocity, would have provided that level of performance at that close distance????
Dosen't sound like much of a surprise. Didn't the bullet do what you would have expected at 60 yards, 3100 fps and obviously a high retained level of energy?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

The concept of carrying both a short range and long range bullet sounds good. At what range would you make the switch to the Berger bullet, 300yds, 400, 500?
The thread is closed