Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Ballistic Edge Triple Torch Model 350 Annealer Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Ballistic Edge Triple Torch Model 350 Annealer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
By the authors own admission an annealer should insulate the case web from increased temp. Not sure how this machine does this compared to say the Ken Light model that uses a thick plate around each case and H2O in the center. Have temps been measured lower on the case to make sure the temp/time is not exceeded? Tempilaq melting around the neck is a great indicator of neck temp, but it does not indicate the temp of the rest of the case... Any crystallography studies for this design? Only asking because I am considering a purchase soon.
This is part of the intial flame set up regardless of the annealer. By applying the heat precisely and for a 'short' period of time, the base of the case is not overheated.

You will have the ability to test with tempilac to ensure it satisfies your needs when you purchase the unit :-)

Jerry
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

I'm new to anealing brass. I work with steal and aliminum a lot, though. I know steal heated and quenched, dropped into water, will harden.

I know brass is different. Does quenching in water make it softer?

Instead of the temp wax or what ever. Would a digital infared laser thermometer be sufficient for determining brass neck temp? Then you could check whatever portion of the case you are concerned about.

Digital thermometers are more available, now, and their prices have become more acceptible for most of us.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Writers Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
I'm new to anealing brass. I work with steal and aliminum a lot, though. I know steal heated and quenched, dropped into water, will harden.

I know brass is different. Does quenching in water make it softer?

Instead of the temp wax or what ever. Would a digital infared laser thermometer be sufficient for determining brass neck temp? Then you could check whatever portion of the case you are concerned about.

Digital thermometers are more available, now, and their prices have become more acceptible for most of us.
sorry, not a metallugist but it would seem quenching doesn't cause brass to harden. once heated, it stays soft whether air or water cooled.

The problem with an external thermometer is the flame used to heat the necks. you would simply be measuring the vastly hotter flame.

The temp paint/sticks are a simple and elegant solution to monitoring these temps.

Cost effective too.

Jerry