Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Atlas Bipod Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Atlas Bipod Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
You can use the existing stud as one of the bolts to mount the rail on, the rear works well. Then put the Atlas pod in the front notch of the rail and attach the sling to the stud as you have been doing.

Jeff
Ok. Call me stupid, you can, but with one will it be strong enough were as stated else where in this thread 2 are used?
Just trying to get this straight in my little brain!

Got a new rifle being built and I am open to new things.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH300UM View Post
Ok. Call me stupid, you can, but with one will it be strong enough were as stated else where in this thread 2 are used?
Just trying to get this straight in my little brain!

Got a new rifle being built and I am open to new things.
You do not need two studs. You do need two bolts to attach the rail for the QD Atlas. Use the existing stud for the rear bolt and to attach your sling. Then drill another for the front rail bolt. Counter sink the inside of the stock for the threaded insert for the front bolt. This may be something you want your smith to do. But most that have some mechanical ability can do it in a home shop.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Broz.
Got it now.
Just got off the phone with my 'smith. He said don't bother with the atlas. Stay with the Harris. Goin' with what he says.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Broz.
Got it now.
Just got off the phone with my 'smith. He said don't bother with the atlas. Stay with the Harris. Goin' with what he says.
10-4

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Broz.
Got it now.

I would be curious to know his reasoning behind that. Don't get me wrong, both are good bipods & will do the job for you; it just makes me wonder if he's had issues in the past or just doesn't want to fiddle with it.

t

Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I would be curious to know his reasoning behind that. Don't get me wrong, both are good bipods & will do the job for you; it just makes me wonder if he's had issues in the past or just doesn't want to fiddle with it.
I would hardly think a smith would be worried about drilling in one insert. There are some people that just prefer the Harris over the Atlas. It may be hard for some to comprehend this but it is true, trust me.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I would hardly think a smith would be worried about drilling in one insert. There are some people that just prefer the Harris over the Atlas. It may be hard for some to comprehend this but it is true, trust me.

Jeff

I wonder who that may be lol I have no problem with those who don't dig the Atlas, that's groovy with me. On the other hand, I would have a BIG problem with 'smiths making their customers decisions for them. I truly hope that is not the case here. From what I understand the OP hasn't been behind an Atlas, maybe he would prefer it over the Harris?

Thats the reason I asked, I guess we'll never know.

t