Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Atlas Bipod Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Atlas Bipod Review

Quote:
If you have spent some time in the field behind a rifle, itís no secret that you need a quality bipod to accurately engage targets at longer ranges than most are accustomed to. There are a plethora of bipods available on the market, but none come close to what the Atlas bipod has to offer. Its simple, clean, robust design lacks bulk and exposed springs, and works extremely well.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Atlas Bipod Review, By Joel Russo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Atlas Bipod Review

"Some of us playing this game are not willing to settle for second best, and are willing to pay for the best engineered equipment available."
--Joel Russo

I can't say it any better than that right there, well stated. I'd like to hear more about the custom action coming out as well.

Thanks for the review Joel, the Atlas is in a category by itself right now & one that i'm glad I found

t

Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Joel,

the atlas bipod is really that much better than a harris 6-9 swivel with leg notches and a KTM pod lok? Say it ain't so Joe!!

L_L
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

I would not call that a review more of an infomercial .
The Atlas is a good bi-pod but so is a Harris , Even though the Atlas has some novel features that does not mean it holds it's POI in all leg positions .
It's one of those things that no matter what any writer says you have try one for yourself to see if it suits you and what you do.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

In my view the most distinguishing feature of the Atlas is the slack that is built into the leg movement. Regardless of leg length, the Atlas design enables the bipod to be loaded with minimal forward pressure of the rifle. Thus will allow about 1/8-1/4" of rearward barrel movement when the rifle is fired. Loading the Harris consistently is more difficult due to the rigid leg design. To load the Harris,the legs are flexed under forward pressure. Leg length, surface, and degree of forward pressure, are variables that require attention which can be a source of inconsistency with POI. I have been able to more easily maintain POI with my 300WM and 6.5-284 whether off a smooth bench, or prone on cement, dirt, grass, etc. This is the feature that I think justifies the the extra cost and switch to the Atlas for me. While the Atlas is very well made, cleaner,lighter, and has more positioning flexability, there are aspects of the Harris that I prefer. It doesn't rattle, the spring loaded legs are faster to get into action, and I prefer the Pod Lock for leveling the scope which I think enables faster, and more positive leveling of the scope. The friction type leveling of the Atlas can be sticky unless well broken in and the tension adjusted properly. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
In my view the most distinguishing feature of the Atlas is the slack that is built into the leg movement. Regardless of leg length, the Atlas design enables the bipod to be loaded with minimal forward pressure of the rifle. Thus will allow about 1/8-1/4" of rearward barrel movement when the rifle is fired. Loading the Harris consistently is more difficult due to the rigid leg design. To load the Harris,the legs are flexed under forward pressure. Leg length, surface, and degree of forward pressure, are variables that require attention which can be a source of inconsistency with POI. I have been able to more easily maintain POI with my 300WM and 6.5-284 whether off a smooth bench, or prone on cement, dirt, grass, etc. This is the feature that I think justifies the the extra cost and switch to the Atlas for me. While the Atlas is very well made, cleaner,lighter, and has more positioning flexability, there are aspects of the Harris that I prefer. It doesn't rattle, the spring loaded legs are faster to get into action, and I prefer the Pod Lock for leveling the scope which I think enables faster, and more positive leveling of the scope. The friction type leveling of the Atlas can be sticky unless well broken in and the tension adjusted properly. IMHO.
I agree with all that. A lot of what we like is what we are used to and comfortable with . One thing I don't like about Harris is the way it attaches to a sling stud it is fraught with flexing and loosening problems with heavy guns and big recoil . However I conveted one to a American Defence QD adapter and locked it in place on the bipod with epoxy and extra screw pressure and then lock wired the tightening wheel so it never moves and it's much better now. I do like aspects of the Harris as far as ease of use goes but I also like the Atlas . Most of my issue is learning to use the Atlas properly as it new to me .
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Bronze Member

I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons or comparison of the 2 models that Atlas offers. I have a McMillan A3 Sporter Lightweight stock for my new build .300 Win Mag. on a M700 LA. Good sound practical Information on this site has brought me this far.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.