close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Product Reviews - Discussion

Is the 6.5 Grendel a True Long Range Hunting Cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Is the 6.5 Grendel a True Long Range Hunting Cartridge?

Quote:
There has been a lot written about this round but I just had that urge to try it out myself. This article has been an ongoing project for well over a year and as you read on, you will understand why. The goal of the 6.5 Grendel cartridge was to provide AR15 shooters a round that could be used in that framework that would be more accurate and effective at ranges up to 800 yards. Using the tried and trued 6mm PPC case necked up to 6.5 and tweaked a little, the 6.5 Grendel was born. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Is the 6.5 Grendel a True Long Range Hunting Cartridge?, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

See Len's take on his own 51 items.
    Unread 01-04-2017, 06:24 PM
    Silver Member

Re: Is the 6.5 Grendel a True Long Range Hunting Cartridge?

Thanks for the article. I fell for hoopla a couple years ago, wasn't really impressed. I will say for cartridge size it is very efficient with the amount of powder it eats.

Unread 01-04-2017, 09:24 PM

The Grendel is my favorite AR 15 caliber. I shoot my custom 20 inch 6.5 grendel to 1000 yards with success. It will hold 1 moa at 1K. With that said. I decided to build a Bench rest 6.5 Grendel. This is where the round lost its luster. I put 700 rounds through the barrel testing loads and bullets. If there is a powder I tried it with 120-130 grain bullets from most manufacturers. In my custom chamber I could push it to 2950 fps with no pressure. But I could not pysically fit anymore powder in case to go further. ( This was bolt gun with 32 inch barrel I don't recommend trying in gas . What I found with accuracy was the round likes 2500 fps-2750fps. It did not like going above 2850 with accuracy. (1.5 inch group avg) I do believe this is due to case design and case capacity's. My 6.5x47 likes 2900 fps with same bullets. I pulled barrel and rechambered it and never looked back. I still love my Grendel gas guns though.
    Unread 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM

My 6.5 G AR is my 90% hunting rifle.
    Unread 01-05-2017, 10:31 AM

That was a great article, thanks for sharing. Those T/Cs are cool little guns.

Question for the broader audience, what velocities would one be able to reasonably expect if running the same ammo/bullet combos that the author was using out a of much more "gas gun" appropriate 16-18" barrel?

I'm building an intermediate range suppressed hunting rifle/truck gun for deer and pigs at the ranch (realistically shots will stay inside 300yds). I was originally leaning towards the 6.8SPC II but I have been eyeing the Grendel so that I could use the same 120NBT and 123gr SST that I am loading in my son's 22" 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Unread 01-06-2017, 02:53 AM
    Bronze Member

I want an AR platform in 6mm Grendel for moving yotes
    Unread 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM
    Silver Member

There is a lot more to this little cartridge that I did not get to in this article. I hope to have a Howa bolt action delivered soon for testing. I think this will show more of the rounds capabilities.