Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Wyoming sheep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Wyoming sheep

After applying for 16 years I finally drew a Wy sheep permit for area 2 NW of Cody! Now I got to lose 20 lbs and get the legs back in shape. Still got to decide whether to hire a guide or DIY. Thats a tough one. Anyone else get lucky with sheep permits? Bruce
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wyoming sheep

Bruce,
Congratulation on the tag, I drew that area six years ago. I hunted almost everyday for a month and passed up six Rams. If I were going to do it over I would hire a Outfitter as they know where the sheep hang out. In the long run, it would have saved me money because I wouldn't have taken the whole month off work.
If you decide to go with a Outfitter there are two that I would highly recommend if you don't already have on in mind.

Grizz Turner with Bliss Creek outfitter (I hope my memory is correct on his name)
John Porter with Morning Creek Outfitters.

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

Scratch
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Based on it likely being once in a lifetime I'm likely to hire a guide. One of the fellows in elk camp last year had hunted sheep. He said every hunter in camp killed his ram on opening day... I don't want to waste this tag. Thanks for the info. Bruce
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Congratulations, Bruce! I'm jealous.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

Bruce, First of all congratulations on the tag!!! Most hunters will never know the elation of drawing such a coveted tag, and then the panic of trying to figure out how to make it the hunt you have always dreamed of. I grew up in that area and I have hunted sheep in Area 2 several times over the years. I would be truely torn about doing it myself or hiring an outfitter. I would probably hire an outfitter to ensure that my hunt was a success. I have hunted many sheep with John Porter of Morning Creek Outfitters and would highly recommend his services. He will do everything in his power to get you the ram you want. One added bonus is most of his hunts are filmed for TV and you could have a video of the experience to share with all your friends and family. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Jonh Porter is on my short list. I think I'm going to hire a guide. He is suppose to be one of the best. I spoke to him a while back about this. It should be fun. Bruce
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

If you really want a great guide at Morning Creek, you should enlist John's sister Robin. Yes I said sister. She is probably the best sheep guide I have ever seen. Hunters usually have a tough time starting a hunt with Robin, because she is a woman, but they end the hunt knowing what an amazing guide she is. I am not sure how many sheep she has guided over the years but I bet it is right up there with John. Just a thought.