Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Re: What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

Area 5 has sheep outside the wilderness. You can access the sheep country on the divide between the Greybull river and the south fork of the Shoshone by using the road going up the carter mountains to the head of Picket creek{use a 4 wheeler}. Backpack from there. The divide between picket and piney creek is the wilderness boundary. other areas are around kerwin off the wood river or Aldrich creek off the south fork of the Shoshone. Hope you are in great shape as this is huge country with plenty of Grizzly's. I will be hunting 5 his year with a friend , so check back after the first couple weeks and I might be of more help.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM

I too will be hunting area 5 with a friend this year. When are you planning on going Quailhunter? We will be hunting the first 2 weeks. Good luck to you and Bighorn Ram!! Sheep hunting is the ultimate!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM

My bad sorry QuailChaser.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 PM

Hey folks,

I just got back. I had no luck on seeing any large numbers of big rams. I did see a lot of ewes and lambs. I ran into a few bands of small rams.

I spent about six days in the back country. I was near Bald Mountain on the Wood River drainage and Jack Creek on the north end. It snowed and rained for a few days and that messed up my hunt somewhat.

I'm heading back for one more week at the end of October.

I'll keep you posted. Please do likewise. Good luck to all!

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Good luck to all you guys still trying to fill that sheep tag...I have 14 pts to-date and hope to have a tag in my pocket at some point in the future.