Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

Very nice ram! Congrats!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 AM

Finally after 18 years I am successful on area 5. Can somebody send me a private message on best areas/drainages to hunt? I am a resident probably going on a DIY hunt. Is it best to hunt early or late? Any tips on affordable binoculars for a working man? I have a nikon spotting scope. Thanks for any information anybody can provide. Excited and ready for September now.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettehunter View Post
Get any info from the Game and Fish? I have thought about calling some outfitters and asking about success and sizes as well as their preferred areas. Bruce
I think the best thing you do is make some referrals specifically to those person who are experiencing this kind of matters, so that you can have an idea of where you can find the best area for hunting.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Congrats on drawing Hifastflyer! I stopped in Cody to check in my ram. The Fish and Game age them and plug the horns. Required by law to get it done. In the process they also asked for a drainage that I killed my sheep in and approximately where. I would call the Cody F@G office. Start talking to Biologists and ask about that map. Then I'd drive to Cody with an appointment to talk to the sheep biologist and spend a little time with the map. That would give you a huge amount of information if they will make it available to you. Good luck. Bruce
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum. I saw that a lot of you know about Unit 5 sheep. I drew the tag for the 2014 season, and I'm a non-resident. I'm planning on going it solo and DIY. I looking for any advice, etc. I'd love to chat with you and hear about the area, etc. (You can also tell me I'm crazy for going solo-DIY, too.)

In any event happy hunting! Again, any info will be appreciated.

P.S. I'm from AZ, so I'll share any knowledge I have about my state...right now, I'm going to be quail hunting this fall. (It's the only tag I have in AZ
Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Hi Quailchaser. I'm sure you are aware that WY requires a guide in order to hunt wilderness areas. That will reduce the area that you can legally hunt. If you have access to horses that will help a lot. That allows you to get back from the trailheads and extra people a bit. Great unit with lots of sheep. Spend some time with some of the area biologists. Good luck. Bruce
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the wilderness/guide rules, so I know I'm somewhat limited. I'll take your advice and check with the biologists.

This is a great forum and I appreciate the warm welcome!

Best regards,

Quailchaser (Ken)