Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

Bruce, pm your email and I will send you the info I have for area 1-5.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Bruce, did you find anything out from the outfitters?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

I am told that 1 is the most rugged and hard to hunt in the state.
2 can be good. One of the guys I talked to says you need patience to wait for sheep to migrate out of the park. Another hunts there all season long. My gunsmith killed one in there years ago. Was 16 hours on a horse to get to it.
3 is a decent unit. They can spend time in the timber in the earlier parts of the season. Harder to find then. Get a little snow and that changes.
4 has some good sheep. Apparently there is only one really good campsite in 4 close to the sheep and probably water. First come.... Kinda of a sleeper unit. Not many talk about it.
5 is the one that everybody wants to draw. Lots of sheep and a very large unit. More permits for this unit than anywhere else in the state. Some say the biggest rams are in this unit. Others say 2 and 3. Thats it in a nutshell.
Going steelhead fishing to Id. Be gone a week. Bruce
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Well Bruce it is down to the wire and I am still debating the areas. I really like 19, 2 sounds like it consistently produces the biggest rams in the state (16 hours horse back) and then there is my 8,23 shot. The biologist said this area is very rugged and parts of it are NOT horse compatible. I did some searching and didn't really come up any outfitters guiding this area (just wanted photos to look at). The biologist said that if you are willing to hunt for the rams you will get some of the nicest in the state.

Happy Applying....
Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

5 is best, hands down.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

What do you meen by best, Horn size or classic sheep hunting trip? If size is the only hting that matters go 12 or19 but if you ddon't have max points you will be waiting a few more years. If a classic high country horseback trip is your thing with lots of sheep and a chance at a 170+ ram will do go 3,4 or 5. I like 5 and will be hunting there the next 3 years with friends or for myself. We have 4 tags this year. Area 12 in the bighorns is a pickup hunt if you pay the $1500 trespass fee! Not my idea of a hunt of a lifetime.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 AM

Can anyone give their opinion on area 3 vs. area 5 right now in Wyoming for 2013? I have enough points for area 3 but it may take 1-3 years for area 5. Is it worth holding out for area 5 or would you experienced sheep hunters go ahead and try area 3? I know may things are changing like hunting pressure, and tags issued, bad winters, predators and pneumonia die offs can change the dynamics in each unit from year to year. I was looking hard at area 4 but have heard from several outfitters that the herd is in decline there and success rates have fallen off there considerably. I also heard area 1 and 2 are barely holding up although some real slammers sometimes come from those units. I am seeking a good representative type trophy. Any help is highly appreciated from all you experienced sheep hunters.